• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECC memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigRed

Caffinated Member
im about to buy some crucial memory and i saw that ecc memory was the same price. i was wondering if this would be able to overclock better and if it required a special motherboard or somthing to run. and does it overall run better than normal ram?

No. Completely opposite.

You don't need it, so don't get it.

Most motherboards support ECC but I don't recommend it unless you're running a mission critical data server that needs error checking and correction.

Otherwise, it is unnoticeably slower, does not overclock well and basically serves no purpose for a home computer.

okay :)

thanks for the fast reply, hehe :)
*clicks confirm order*
ahhh 3 sticks of 256mb cl2 crucial ram comming my way :) (non ecc :p)

Jon said:
No. Completely opposite.

You don't need it, so don't get it.

Most motherboards support ECC but I don't recommend it unless you're running a mission critical data server that needs error checking and correction.

Otherwise, it is unnoticeably slower, does not overclock well and basically serves no purpose for a home computer.

heh crap.. i got some cruical ecc reg'd 256mb pc2100 ddr.. i dunno even how to use the ecc :(

Back