• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling dual core AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muddocktor

Retired
Hey you all, after doing some experimenting with various newer high performance heatsinks with my Main rig, which is an Opty 170 in a Coolermaster Praetorian case, I have decided that I will go with water instead of high end air for it. I plan to mount the pump and radiator in another gutted and modded case instead of going internal in the Praetorian, as it doesn't have a whole bunch of room width-wise. That was most of the problem with going high end air, since it is a little too shallow to mount a Big Typhoon with a Panaflo M1A or a Scythe Ninja (removable mobo tray eats up case width).

Anyways, I plan to probably use a Black Ice Pro III radiator with 3 quiet 120mm fans for the rad. I'm planning to use the maze4 chipset block on my Epox mobo (9NDA3+). However, the cpu waterblock and pump are still up in the air and I'm looking for advice on.

What seems to be the best waterblock for cooling dual core AMD processors? I know that the Storm is pretty well considered to be best for single core procs, but I don't know about on dual core cpu's.

I still haven't decided if I will watercool my video card gpu yet, but I'm kind of leaning toward it right now. I'm running an AGP Sapphire X800XT-PE vid card. Who makes a good waterblock that fits this card? All suggestions here are welcome, as I don't know of a gpu block that will fit this vid card.

As for the water pump, I'm thinking of going with a 120v pump since I plan to have it and the radiator in a separate box, using Eheim quick disconnect ball valves on the hose for when I need to move the system for any reason. Right now I'm thinking of something like the Eheim 1260 or 1262, but I definitely am open for suggestions. Low cost is not a priority with this setup but max performance is a priority. I'm partial to Eheim from past experience with their products, but I'm open to suggestions for reliable, leak-proof, high pressure alternatives. I plan to use 1/2" OD (3/8" ID) tubing for the coolant hose. I also plan to use a reservoir to make filling and bleeding the system easier.

I'm not a noob at watercooling, but the last watercooled system I put together was close to 3 years ago. I updated the waterblock to a DD RBX I got here in the classies for a good price about 3 months or so ago and it performs well, but I'm looking for even better performance on my Opty rig with this new setup. :) Also, I won't be buying parts for about a month or so, when my tax refund comes in, so I welcome all comments on my ideas here.

1. Storm is one of the better ones, I'd say Cathar G5 is the 'best', and yes the storm would be great for an Opty 170.

2. DD Maze4 , MCW60 , Silverprop FusionHL , These all fit your x800xtpe

3. Eheim 1260 and 1262 are OVERKILL and they use 3/4" and 1" Barbs, i would go with an Eheim 1250 3/4" and 1/2", you can change the 3/4" to 1/2".

Same IHS and socket but not the same die. The die is actually twice as wide as a conventional a64 since it is actually two athlon 64 dies next to each other.

eightballrj said:
Same IHS and socket but not the same die. The die is actually twice as wide as a conventional a64 since it is actually two athlon 64 dies next to each other.
but the point is, any waterblock with good flow will do fine for an X2...

Back