• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with my Rhythm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LarryRE

Registered
I was reluctant to broach this question cause I know I'm goin to get all kinds of flames for having Thermaltake garbage but you guys have the best knowledge and can tell me if I'm chasing a lost cause or if there is a prayer for improving it.
First off, I wanted this because I like an external solution. My last go round I flooded my first $400 video card, got ****ed and sold it all. DOH!

The Rhythm is a good looking external unit which out of the box matched my XP-90C and very quietly. It has a unique WB and dual 120MM fan radiator and measily 84lph pump.

My question what would best help push a little more out of this rig :

replacing the pump? Seems obvious and an MCP350 would fit but it's 1/4 inch tubing!

adding on another radiator like the bigwater external? More junk or a help?

a better low restriction waterblock Zalman ZB-3 or maybe an Apogee??

Forget it, send it back and just get the ApogeeExtreme kit??

Honesty appreciated!! (I know thw Swiftech kit would be cheaper!!!??)

:shrug: :bang head

If it's not a big hassle, I would send it back and go with a swiftech kit. The performance and expandability will be worth it. If that's not possible, I think the best thing you could do is add another rad.

good luck :thup:

Thanks for the comments so far. Guess I knew this kit wouldn't be the end all. It is really quiet, looks great and is pretty close to the results I wanted. Not chasing the baddest WC setup. Just wanted something quieter and a little better cooling than the air setup I had.

the prices I am seeing for that are around $220 or so. For that money, sending it back really would be the best choice. If you have some patience, do some research, and buy your parts you can have a very quiet setup that could cool both your cpu and gpu for maybe $250 or less. The fact that the thermaltake uses a copper block with an aluminum rad just is proof of the fact that they are worry about bling more than reliability and function. You will be MUCH happier in the long run with a system that you put together than that.

If you figure a DDC (mcp350) - $78 shipped from crazypc.com
apogee- about $50 shipped
bipII- about $42 shipped
tubing, clamps, etc. from mcmaster.com - $20
fans- yate loons D12SL-12 from jab-tech.com- 2 @ $6 + shipping= $20
For $210 you have a setup that is solid.
Add a maze4 GPU block and some ramsinks for about another $60 and you could cool the GPU also. And if you get access to the classifieds, you can usually find good deals on slightly used parts to cut even more off if necessary.

As far as kits go, the Swiftech kits are good, but I still favor sucking it in and building your own. The above parts are just some suggestions of good quality parts. There are a lot of variations you could do to that, and there are always people here that can help you figure things out. Hope this helps.

Thanks Voigts

I had done a DIY rig before. AFter 24 hours testing I hooked it up and released smoke from my brand new 6800 GT (a 2 drop leak). Got annoyed and sold it all. I never even got to messin with it. I don't really have the time to devote hence my kit tendencies. I know you can do wonders with a self designed WC setup. Maybe I'll just send this back and wait til I have more bandwidth available. Appreciate your looking into this rig though!!

Just unloaded my Rhythm on Ebay as the vendor would not take it back. Looks as if I'm goin to DIY after all. Just ordered a BIP III, Yate Loon fans. Mcmaster tubing, a CSP mag pump and Swiftech 6000 block. All that was only about $170. Should be sweet and I'll mount the rad way external so I got 6 fans. Thanks again folks!!

Thanks for the update. You made the best choice to sell the rhythm. Sounds like you have some nice parts coming. Run those fans at about 7 volts and your setup will be very quiet. Keep us updated with pics.

Back