• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

Ok, I just completed my water cooling setup a little while ago. I got everything mounted more or less the way I want to. But my pump tends to be kind of noisey. I mounted it on the back face of my computer, just below the PSU. It rattled a little bit, so I cut some carpet padding and put that behind it. That helped, but the pump still sends vibrations through the entire case. How would you recommend that I either remount the pump or find some method of isolating the vibrations? I personally don't mind it, but the rents keep bitching at me. I put my whole computer off the floor on to a little cardboard egg-crate thing, but that in conjunction with the carpet padding just doesn't cut it.

striker85 said:
I have a pond pump. I can't remember what the brand it but it is a koi pond "mag2" pump. Magnetic drive, 250gph, 7' head.

edit: found it:
Pondmaster pondmag2 250gph, 7' height max, 120v AC magnetic drive pump

You can see pictures in this thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=453002

Well that pump isnt all that good, if you got the spare cash you could always upgrade to a better pump :thup:

I have a MAG3, which is basically the same pump. I mounted my pump on a few layers of Dynamat in order to stop the rattling. It adds mass to the mounting area, therefore deadening the rattling. Dynamat is used in car audio installs, and there are similar sounds deadening products out there that will do the same thing.

Suspend the pump. Also make sure you don't have air stuck in the impeller. That would make the pump louder and hurt its performance.

When you say suspend, do you mean with a piece of string, or by mounting it to the side of the case?

I want to ask if the pump will make more noise if it have a harder way to pump the water up the case. With that I mean if the hoses go straight up from pump to block. The alternative would be if the hoses would have a straigheter way up it's path.

Because I changed the paths of my hoses and expireinced higher vibrating noise from the pump, but can not for 100% tell it's because of this.

striker85 said:
When you say suspend, do you mean with a piece of string, or by mounting it to the side of the case?
I mean suspend it with some sort of elastic so that it doesn't actually touch the case. This pic of a supended hard drive will give you the idea:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/no-vibe-3.jpg
Full article here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/modul...ons&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=8&page=1

The elastic will transmit very little of the vibration, and it shouldn't make much noise itself unless you tighten it up like the strings on a guitar.

are you using some type of rubber grommets around your screws/bolts?
if your mounting hardware is in direct contact with your pump and case that could be transfering the vibrations.

da_pipe said:
are you using some type of rubber grommets around your screws/bolts?
if your mounting hardware is in direct contact with your pump and case that could be transfering the vibrations.

yes, rubber washers and grommets help aLOT!

nicoliani said:
I want to ask if the pump will make more noise if it have a harder way to pump the water up the case. With that I mean if the hoses go straight up from pump to block. The alternative would be if the hoses would have a straigheter way up it's path.

Because I changed the paths of my hoses and expireinced higher vibrating noise from the pump, but can not for 100% tell it's because of this.

I can answer that question for my self. No it doesn't matter much. But what made the noise?
Air no. When I changed the way of the hoses I also drained my loop. When I started it it was plain des water. When I added oil after some days all noise disappeared!

Back