• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Question About UV Reactive Dye

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1twelve2

How to cover up those LEDs on my mobo?

Does UV Reactive Dye only show up with UV lights? Or does it actually dye the water. I know i wont see any BRIGHT color without a UV light, but will i see a color change in the water? Im running 95% Distilled / 5% Antifreeze, so the color is like a faint green. Im looking to get some Blue dye, but i want to know if i can only see blue with a UV light.

thanks

Last edited:
but would blue UV dye overpower the faint green of the antifreeze? Or would i need to find a clear additive...

I've used red and green, both somewhat "stain" the tubing with their respective color. Even when I used green antifreeze and red dye, the was red, well more pink, with the lights off and on. Blue, I don't know, but my guess is that you will be fine.

I doubt it would physically hurt anything but I've played with dies in large concentrations before and I wasnt impressed with the results.

citronym said:
I doubt it would physically hurt anything but I've played with dies in large concentrations before and I wasnt impressed with the results.

w im just wanting to have a nice blue color with no UV lights... i also dont want to hurt the cooling capacity of my loop. aw what the heck, ill just buy some UV dye and post some results when i get it.. lol ( im good at complicating simple things )

Make sure you get ''Deep blue'' (or something along those lines) not UV ''Revealing blue'' because revealing blue will only show up when under UV light, normally comes in a light yellow colour before you put it in your loop.

otogrim said:
yeah but he wants blue

yea... i could go either way.. i think blue would be best because the LEDs on the front of my case are blue, and i have blue LED fans... but the catch is, my mobo is red w/ red LEDs. if there was an EASY way to change the LEDs on my mobo, id just change them to blue, and go that way. although i like green, blue SEEMS to be the easiest way to go.

:bang head

Why not just check this page out. It has exactly what you are looking and in some cases then some as a few are nonconductive coolants.

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Water Cooling/se=Fluids/mp=menu_search.html

I am using this right now.

http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-liq-07.html

and it works well.

a pic

WCLoopDone2.JPG

I ordered some blue uv die from frozencpu and it looks like it'll work well. I don't have my wc setup just yet, but I played around w/ some tap water in a glass and held it up to the uv light in my case

img19835218jm.jpg

soloz2 said:
I ordered some blue uv die from frozencpu and it looks like it'll work well. I don't have my wc setup just yet, but I played around w/ some tap water in a glass and held it up to the uv light in my case

img19835218jm.jpg
haha awesome..

i ordered some of that Blue PC Chill stuff from FrozenCPU, along with two 4'' UV Cold Cathodes. Which brings me to my next question... is there any NON CONDUCTIVE paint so i can black out the red LEDs on my motherboard? :rolleyes:

1twelve2 said:
haha awesome..

i ordered some of that Blue PC Chill stuff from FrozenCPU, along with two 4'' UV Cold Cathodes. Which brings me to my next question... is there any NON CONDUCTIVE paint so i can black out the red LEDs on my motherboard? :rolleyes:

put a small piece of electrical tape over them :)
you will still be able to see them but it wont put out ne extra light...

Haste266 said:
put a small piece of electrical tape over them :)
you will still be able to see them but it wont put out ne extra light...

i....

love...

you...

hahah i was thinking i needed to paint my mobo, so i was reading some old threads about people that have painted theirs... i was getting kinda scared!

oh noes!

nice solo

waiting for my 2nd waterblock for my sli setup... then i'll have some pics of my rig going to the wire-managed and watercooled gallery...

Back