• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warning for anyone assembling a system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

When they say measure twice cut once they mean it!
If you on the verge of assembling your system learn from me:
I wanted to leak test outside the box so I placed the components, measured the tubing length and the cut it, the system was leak tested for 2 weeks in the garage because I couldn't find mounting screws for the fan (zip tied now :)) and now I come to assemble it and the damn tubing is too long at few spots!
The system is now half in half out of the case because its late and I can't start messing with it now so I'll do it tomorrow.
Measure three times! cut once.
I'm such a newb :shrug:

same thing happened to me. i thought i would give a little slack so the tubing wouldnt put so much strain on the blocks. i just left it the way it was but good luck with yours

hey, just a tip. when measureing my tubing, I used a length of cable sleeving that was left over from sleeving my psu because it bends just like tubing. I then added an extra inch or two just to make sure it wasn't too short. If it was too long, I then just trimmed it when I put everything in my case.

I simply put everything together parts and all and leak test it in place powering just the pump with an extra psu. So far that has worked a lot better for me. Leaktesting outside of the case has the disadvantage that you are not stressing your connections and such like you will once it is installed.

I usally put everything together in the case, jump the PSU and leak test :) that way if it does leak on anything there's no power on it and you can clean it off with rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner, but if you take your time double cheak everything and do it right, it won't leak.

Call me crazy but after i leak tested my first WC build i stopped. Just assemble and install. If it leaks ive found it before i turn the pc on.

Perium said:
Call me crazy but after i leak tested my first WC build i stopped. Just assemble and install. If it leaks ive found it before i turn the pc on.

ya lol I don't even leak test sometimes...... I dont't see the need. I've built about 6 systems all have been fine.

ya i don't leak test either i just double check everything and then fill her up, i have yet to have a leak in the past 5 years... (knocks on wood)

By the time I usually end up getting things put together and filled up it is the middle of the night anyway, so I normally leaktest it through night while I go crash. Leaktesting for a while seems wise to me as anyone can make a mistake.

voigts said:
By the time I usually end up getting things put together and filled up it is the middle of the night anyway, so I normally leaktest it through night while I go crash. Leaktesting for a while seems wise to me as anyone can make a mistake.
Agreed. Doing no leaktesting at all is wreckless, even an hour is better than not testing at all. I would be especially careful with new hardware, sometimes mfgr defects cause leaks too, not just user error.

yeah, I leak tested outside my case w/ all my components just to make sure that they didn't leak... then I put everything in my case and leak tested for a couple hours knowing that I really only needed to watch for leaks at my connections... not any of the components.

Electron Chaser said:
Just be glad it was too long and not too short. I have yet to find a good tubing stretcher. LOL
If it's too long, it kinks.

soloz2 said:
yeah, I leak tested outside my case w/ all my components just to make sure that they didn't leak... then I put everything in my case and leak tested for a couple hours knowing that I really only needed to watch for leaks at my connections... not any of the components.

That makes a lot of sense to leaktest any new parts before installing just to make sure the parts themselves don't leak. I hadn't thought of that and have just taken it for granted that a new part isn't going to leak. This would be especially true of Apogee blocks or such that I keep seeing people have problems getting the barbs tightened down right.

I take a slight exception to the statement that not leak testing at all is reckless.

Only a slight exception, of course, because it is at least borderline. ;)

My version of leak testing is generally pretty minimal now:
1) If it doesn't leak when I put the water in, move to next step.
2) Turn the pc on- if it doesn't leak while booting, don't yank the plug. :D

I have been doing this for a while now though, and in truth, I did leak test my first system out of the case for 24 hours.
The next dozen or so, I would jump the psu on to test while everything was in the case, avoiding the live power problem.

For the last few dozen (re-)builds or so, I just don't bother- leaks are rare and when they do occur are so minor that I have no worries.

But I do think that leak-testing OUTSIDE the case is fairly pointless:
no stress on the tubing and components, which can be a source of leaks
time spent is about the same (or longer) than the time spent waiting for parts to dry if water DOES get on something.

Just keep the power supply disconnected so no components are live (except for the pump, anyway.)

rogerdugans said:
Just keep the power supply disconnected so no components are live (except for the pump, anyway.)
Thats my plan, the thing was that I didn't have a way to mount the fans and I wanted to check everything.
I now know my blocks don't leak and I'm not going to removing all the tubing, only two hoses are going to be removed, trimmed and put back and thats going to be on one side only.
If I just wasn't so damn lazy!!!!!!

Back to doing math now....

ur supposed to measure the tubing before cutting? :p

what i do is hook one end of the tube up to a barb...then take the other end of the hose and put it next to the barb that i want to hook it up to and figure out the length that way...havent had a problem with this method.

all done while the components are in the case of course

Back