• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stretch tubing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cobalt

I'm thinking about WCing my system (mainly because I want to try something new) and I've been reading a lot of stickies and everything so I decided to price it all up.

The problem is that the MCP350 has 3/8" fittings but I wanted to use the storm which I can only find with 1/2" fittings. So the question is really: should I get everything in 1/2" and just use 3/4" tubing from the pump to the next mount, stretching it over that and using 1/2" tubing for the rest, Or is there a better way?

I hope that explaination makes sense.

Keep in mind that I live in the UK and there isn't a great selection here. I'm actually thinking of getting the stuff from www.voyeurmods.com as they ship outside US and it didn't seem to be that expensive with the exchange rate factored in and everything.

Good Tygon 3/8" ID Tubing will stretch with a little effort over fittings that are 1/2" so if you wanted to use 3/8" tubing for everything that is an option. Though you could just change your pump selection.

Ah never though about the pump. I fell really stupid now...

I'll see if anything else catches my eye

The MCP655 is actually a louder (not sure by how much) and more powerful pump that is at a comparable price tag. It's also one of the most recommended, tho it really depends what you are looking for in a pump. I'd imagine since you had originally gone with the MCP350 it'll be what you want, but then again it's up to you.

Thanks. I was going for quiter system and people kept saying that the 655 was louder so I chose the 350 instead. I guess I should check out the sound figures. I may be able to get some sound proofing materail from a friend though so I'll see if theres anyway to use that if the numbers are too high for my liking.

hey i got the 655 coming in and my whole set up is 3/8 . i can "stretch" the tubing over the 1/2 pump if i dip it in hot water right?....i think i got some PVC material tubing.

PLEASE TELL ME YES OR IMA CRY!!

tvdang7 said:
hey i got the 655 coming in and my whole set up is 3/8 . i can "stretch" the tubing over the 1/2 pump if i dip it in hot water right?....i think i got some PVC material tubing.

PLEASE TELL ME YES OR IMA CRY!!

YES. But you will have to submerge the end in boiling hot water for a few minutes.

hmm ill try to get that that boiling water up to my room ASAP . thanks.

my main concern is the ends cracking or something.

ok i jsut got my pump in. my tube and the end of hte pump is kinda hard to put on. any tips on getting the pvc tubing on it?

tvdang7 said:
ok i jsut got my pump in. my tube and the end of hte pump is kinda hard to put on. any tips on getting the pvc tubing on it?

A hairdryer heating the end for a minute or so should make it much more pliable and easier to get on

Does anyone have the rough dimensions on the 655? Cause I was looking for an internal solution which I know would have worked with the 350 but I'm not so sure about the bigger 655.

Otherwise some creative routing may be in order.

You could get the 350 and use some 3/8 tubing as a sleeve over the barbs on the pump, that way you could just run 1/2 tubing through out. 3/8 ID x 1/2 OD on the pump barbs and then use some 1/2 ID x 3/4 OD will slide right over the sleeved barbs and work great for your loop, would work perfectly.

I might do that. It would certainly solve a lot of problems and its similar to my original idea. Well now I've several options to look into so thanks guys. If anyone knows a good supplier of WC componets in the UK that would also help but apart from that I think I'm set to start on the diagrams.

Back