• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Water help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sleepyone

Registered
I’m using a ninja HS for my 170 AMD chip. Have it overclocked to 2.6g right now and my temps were 42c with it, but now that the house is in the upper 70s my temps are around 49-51 (100% load). Will the best water cooling bring them back down to the low 40’s or is it worth it?

Sleepyone said:
I’m using a ninja HS for my 170 AMD chip. Have it overclocked to 2.6g right now and my temps were 42c with it, but now that the house is in the upper 70s my temps are around 49-51 (100% load). Will the best water cooling bring them back down to the low 40’s or is it worth it?
A 200-250$ setup should lower the temps.
Is it worth it? Every penny IMO, you get silence and good OC.
What kind of airflow you got around the case?

Sleepyone said:

Possibly high 30's, and yes watercooling is worth every bit.

i dont know about that silence part. it depends if u get low speed fans or not. my 120 fans are about the same decibles as my fan on my xp-90.

I just jumped on water and I never want to go back. Definitly worth it in the end.

Take this from me, buy the best parts possible and put it together your self it will be damn great. Don't buy already made systems like waterchill etc I know it was pretty early with water when I first saw these disasters but I have seen all I want to see lol.

Well thanks for the replies; I guess im going to try it soon. One more question. Is there a big difference in temps using the Thermochill PA120.3 or just going to the auto store and getting one for 20 or 30 dollars? It might be more fun to make one that way. But If their’s going to be a big difference in temps like about 3 or 5 degrees I would get the more expensive one.

just for clarification you switch from Celcius to Fahrenheit when reporting those temps?
Cuz 70 Celcius would be quite warm for an ambient :eek:

The difference is you need high CFM 38mm fans for a HC. They are a lot thicker than a rad designed for computers, so you need fans with some oomph. You also have to mod them somewhat. Dangerden sells a premodded HC, but if you want silence, you don't want a HC.

If you want quiet, you want to go with something like the thinner BIP and use low cfm fans like yate loons or scythe ninjas. As to whether or not it is worth it is a personal decision. You will probably get a better overclock on water than on air, and you can make the system a lot quieter if you set things up properly. Realize however that going to water involves normally some kind of case modding and hands-on in order to set things up. If you like getting your hands wet then you will probably like going to water for the advantages it offers.

Water can only do so much too. During the winter, my apartment was 65-68 ambient and now it's 80 in here. With higher ambients come higher temps too, w/c or not.

Last edited:
Stratus_ss said:
just for clarification you switch from Celcius to Fahrenheit when reporting those temps?
Cuz 70 Celcius would be quite warm for an ambient :eek:

obviously its not 70*Celcius, no where on earth gets 70*C :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back