• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Completely lost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObiwanShinobi

So I've ordered everything and its arrived. I have never set up water cooling or know anyone that has, so its up to the nice folks here at ocforums to help me out.
1. What goes to what? where does it start? Does the pump go to the radiator then the radiator to the cpu block?ect
2. I have a thermal take Armor case. Where do I put the radiator without having to remove any hard drive cages? If so what should I do?
3. Where do I put the liquid in first when it is setup?
4. what do I do with clamps?
any other tips or help is appreciated

Thank you!

Ok, it sounds like you have a lot of reading ahead of you.

Use the search feature, as all of your questions have been covered in great detail already. I suggest you read the stickies in the water cooling section now, and then go ahead and search for your specific questions.

Good luck.

Thanks for the links. But my biggest problem is figuring out where to put the radiator without doing any case modding or having to remove hard drives.

^ Yeah, that's the real trick. Honestly, in most cases I'm not sure it can be done. Have you picked a radiator yet?

Custom watercooling usully involves case modding of some sort. Unless your case is specifically designed for watercooling, then it's more then likely you will need to mod your case or make internal adjustments in order to install your gear. There is no trick to gettting around this, it's just part of watercooling.

It's best to design your whole watercooling system, then order suitable parts. It sounds like you have gone at this whole thing backwards by ordering all of your gear without knowing what your going to be doing with it.

Good example if you have to mod your case, would be the work I've done on my Antec P160W: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=452006

A typical good loop would consist of Pump > Res > Rad > CPU > GPU or Pump > Rad > CPU > GPU, you can switch CPU & GPU around according to which one you want to be *SLIGHTLY* (if at all) cooler. Also, a Sen told me this and i'll tell you when cutting your tubing, ALWAYS OVER ESTIMATE!!! Good luck :)

ziggo0 said:
Good example if you have to mod your case, would be the work I've done on my Antec P160W: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=452006

A typical good loop would consist of Pump > Res > Rad > CPU > GPU or Pump > Rad > CPU > GPU, you can switch CPU & GPU around according to which one you want to be *SLIGHTLY* (if at all) cooler. Also, a Sen told me this and i'll tell you when cutting your tubing, ALWAYS OVER ESTIMATE!!! Good luck :)
Thanks that helped alot, I wasnt sure where the res went in the order. And thanks for the tip about over estimating.

Ahh crap I just saw you got the Armor. What you might, and probaly can do, is mount the Rad where the front intake 120mm fans are - That is where I would mount it if that was my case.

Thanks that helped alot, I wasnt sure where the res went in the order.
Well, order of the res doesn't really matter a whole lot. I prefer to go without, personally. If anywhere, the res should be put before the pump.

Pump-->Res is just asking for problems and headaches. You're trying to pump water into what you are filling the system with. Res-->Pump is one part of the loop that should be static.

Custom watercooling usully involves case modding of some sort. Unless your case is specifically designed for watercooling, then it's more then likely you will need to mod your case or make internal adjustments in order to install your gear. There is no trick to gettting around this, it's just part of watercooling.

Not always true. I find it depends on how you approach the problem.

Any of the cases I have water cooled I have never modded anything. And I have never owned a full tower. Current case - Antec Sonata. Small mid, definitely not designed for water cooling. Yet it was not a particular challenge to fit a 120x2 rad, blocks on the gpu and cpu, bay res, and large bore tube all w/o any mods or cutting of the case.

Some times it will be necessary, but there are quite a few cases where it should be basically just drop in.

Last edited:
So i have everything hoooked up and ready I think, Where do I put the coolant in at? The res?

You don't want the reservoir level to drop too much or the pump will start sucking air. Fill the res with coolant. Turn on the pump briefly (don't boot the computer yet), air will bleed out into the res and the coolant level will drop in the res. Turn off the pump and top off the res. Repeat until you get most of the air out. At some point you can run the pump continuously. Now carefully check for leaks. I would run the system for a few hours to make sure all the air bubbles are bled out and there is no leaks. Good luck.

Daddyjaxx said:
Pump-->Res is just asking for problems and headaches. You're trying to pump water into what you are filling the system with. Res-->Pump is one part of the loop that should be static.

very true..

i have my loop setup... PUMP > CPU > RAD > RES

TheSonOfX51 said:
ok, so I bought PC ICE, if I run out of fluid, what do I do?
95% distilled water / 5% antifreeze

works like a CHARM

Back