• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative coolant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Water is the best coolant. You can waste the extra money on non-conductive liquid but its going to be conductive almost as soon as you pour it in, and won't perform better than water (may not even perform AS good). Care and caution are way better than fluid-xp, IMO.

IMO, it's not worth the price. Water will perform just as well if not better than. Granted it's non-conductive, but it looses that property once introduced into your loop.

u guys say it looses its non-conductiveness once it enters my "loop", is that because of all the impurities in my loop right?....i guess there is nothing better or cheaper then water

its because the metals in your loop add a certain amount of conductivity no matter what you try to do. Metals give off some of their conductive properties to the fluid making it slightly conductive. Enough to give it the potential of becoming hazardous in a spill

Blueboy1986 said:
i guess there is nothing better or cheaper then water
Bingo. Thats the consensus around here. There simply is no fluid that has better capacity than water (not that the majority of us have access to anyway) and all of the pros of using fluid-xp can be argued (like the conductiveness). If you end up with a leak, chances are you did something stupid. Take the time in the begining and you will be ok. Very few ppl experience a leak that destroys hardware.

Wrong, non-conductive is non-conductive as long as you don't add anything to the loop. I've been using PC Ice fluid for the past few months-my system had developed a leak but I was having trouble finding it. I made the mistake of adding water to my existing fluid, and I lost two graphics cards because of it. I replaced the radiator, the souce of the leak, and filled up with a new bottle of fluid. It leaked on my graphics card again, but it still works. :p

I had a warranty on the first one, so I only ended up losing 1 graphics card.

Fluid XP is a patent pending mixture of Propylene glycol, De-ionized water, Glycerin, Keltrol, Benzotriazole and some other proprietary ingredients that are all considered to be food safe ingredients as recognized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

borrowed from FLUIDXP Faqs site:
http://www.fluidxp.com/index.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1#17

If the ingredients list is similar to food labels, then FluidXP is mostly water!
If you have an older block and radiator, your fluid will become conductive
within a few days of use. Deionized water just has not picked up any
loose metal ions yet....

I think I saw a short video somewhere that had someone pouring FluidXP
into a PSU and even though nothing happened for a few moments, it finally
shorted out in a minor explosion of sparks.

Just use a little care no matter what fluid you use, and you should have
not real problems.

Last edited:
ghettocomp said:
borrowed from FLUIDXP Faqs site:
http://www.fluidxp.com/index.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1#17

If the ingredients list is similar to food labels, then FluidXP is mostly water!
If you have an older block and radiator, your fluid will become conductive
within a few days of use. Deionized water just has not picked up any
loose metal ions yet....

I think I saw a short video somewhere that had someone pouring FluidXP
into a PSU and even though nothing happened for a few moments, it finally
shorted out in a minor explosion of sparks.

Just use a little care no matter what fluid you use, and you should have
not real problems.

Do you mean the video that has the guys that pored it on a motheboard in a tray while in the bios, cause I didn't see anything fry :p

There are fluids that will work much better than water and are non-conductive. I saw it in a science lecture once but I can remember its name. It had a crazy specific heat capacity though (in the 6000 range I believe). It was damn expensive and highly toxic so you probably don't want to mess with it.

Back