• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any way to make my Hydor L35 quiet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soloz2

Hey, I just finished my wc setup and I'm enjoying the drop in temps... but the noise of the pump is going to drive me insane!!! does anyone know how to make the pump quiet? is there a way?

my wc setup is as follows:
swiftech apogee cpu block
polarflo tt gpu block (dd maze 4 backplate and mounting hardware)
hydor L35 pump
dd single 5 1/4 bay res
double heater core
7/16" masterkleer tubing.

for fluid I am running distilled water w/ about 5% zerex and some blue uv dye.

my loop is configured as follows:

res > Y to drain and pump > heater core (from pump) > cpu > gpu > res

If your loop has only been running for a short time then you likely still have a lot of air in the system, which in my experience is the most common culprit for pump noise. I inspected a system running an L35 and I certainly don't remember it being insanely loud.

The only thing you can do is isolate the pump, put it on a piece of neporene or some other type of foam, to give it a little bit of a cushion.

with no air in the loop, holding the pump in your hand is as quiet as it will get

well I let the system run w/ the cap off the res for a couple hours preiodiclly tapping on the blocks, rad and pump to get air bubbles out. I then moved the computer and let it run for another hour and a half or so w/ the cap off. there are some air bubbles at the top of my res, but there aren't any moving through my tubing. and holding the pump in my hand it isn't any quieter.

I put some foam underneath it and I wrapped it up in a small towl. it's much quieter now. I don't think this is a permanant solution though... I may need to look for another pump. any suggestions for pumps that won't break the bank?

soloz2 said:
I put some foam underneath it and I wrapped it up in a small towl. it's much quieter now. I don't think this is a permanant solution though... I may need to look for another pump. any suggestions for pumps that won't break the bank?

MCP-655/Liang D5
Eheim 1048/1250
MCP-350

^ all good pumps.

how quiet are the eheim pumps? I won a 1048 on ebay but the auction listing said both 1260 and 1048 so I tried to get a discount, but they refuned my money instead. I wish I had the pump right now...

For silence you want a MCP350, but its 1/4' ID which could be problematic, although the D5 is much quieter.

I'm dropping a D5 into my loop to replace my Hydor L30 because the impeller constantly unseats itself from the rubber housing on the cap and its rattling like a **** right now and is probably 948dB.

SewerBeing said:
Eheim's are known to be among the highest quality and quietest pumps in the watercooling world. Their popular days are in the past however and now 12V dc pumps are the pumps to pick.

Sewer is right.

But the Eheim's are still good and can be apart of a topend watercooling system. I would suggest using a relay, I've turned my computer on and forgot to turn the damn 1250 on :bang head = Dead Prescott

phaeton said:
For silence you want a MCP350, but its 1/4' ID which could be problematic, although the D5 is much quieter.
The MCP350 is neither 1/4' or louder than the D5, IDK where you got that info from.

-aDaM^ said:
Sewer is right.

But the Eheim's are still good and can be apart of a topend watercooling system. I would suggest using a relay, I've turned my computer on and forgot to turn the damn 1250 on :bang head = Dead Prescott

ouch! yeah, I don't have a relay at the moment. I've thought about one... but maybe later. I sure wish I had that 1048 that I almost had... :bang head sigh...

Danner Mags are close in reliability and performance to the eheims, and you can buy them locally at places like petsmart.

-aDaM^ said:
Didn't you have the thermal shut-down threshold set?

soloz2 said:
ouch! yeah, I don't have a relay at the moment. I've thought about one... but maybe later. I sure wish I had that 1048 that I almost had... :bang head sigh...

1048 is insanely quiet, only way you can tell its on.... it by touching it and fealing the slight vibration.

-aDaM^ said:
1048 is insanely quiet, only way you can tell its on.... it by touching it and fealing the slight vibration.

now I really wish I still had that pump... :cry:

anyone use the via aqua 1300? it's supposed to be decent, and easily modible to be quiet

Reliablility issues have come up from time to time with the via aqua pumps but many people continue to use them.

citronym said:
Reliablility issues have come up from time to time with the via aqua pumps but many people continue to use them.

ohh... not good. I haven't heard anything like that. do the pumps just quit or what?

citronym said:
The MCP350 is neither 1/4' or louder than the D5, IDK where you got that info from.

Sorry, 3/8", its late and I had some beers. But yes, its quieter than a D5, and thats with having both on the table right infront of me. Then one off. Then one on.

The 350 is the quietest 12V pump, with hefty performance, hands down. With the intake mod it rivals the 655.

Back