• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

has anyone ever tracked how much they have added to their res over a period of time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

has anyone ever tracked how much they have added to their res over a period of time?

I'm wondering what kind of rate I will need to refill my res. Every few days, I seem to notice the change in level and I want to make sure this is normal, and not a leak that dries before I can identify it.

I'm using about 4' of soft silicone tubing. I've been told the rate of evaporation through this kind of tubing is about 4 times faster than through PVC tubing. Could you guys give me an estimate of some volume over a specific period of time? (so I can estimate how often I will need to refill mine given there are no leaks)

Also, is it possible to have a leak that dries before it can be identified, which could account for some loss?

thanks! :thup:

Last edited:
Once your loop is completely filled and there are little to no bubbles left then the water level should not drop a significant amount at all. The loop is closed after all and the only loss should be through evaporation. Now this rate obviously depends on the temperatures of the water and air and also on the amount of tubing used. Now you should obviously leak test for 24 hours and check all the possible leak points. Also in the beginning you will need to refill a few times as all the bubbles come out. Sorry, I don't have an actual number for you.

Never measured it, but I use a 6ml syringe to fill my res and it takes about two full syringes about once every 4-6 months. I'm not sure of the material(perhaps PVC) of the tubing but its 3/8" SMC pneumatics tubing, and there is probably 3-4 feet of it in my loop. Also, this is with 24/7 use.

SewerBeing said:
Once your loop is completely filled and there are little to no bubbles left then the water level should not drop a significant amount at all. The loop is closed after all and the only loss should be through evaporation. Now this rate obviously depends on the temperatures of the water and air and also on the amount of tubing used. Now you should obviously leak test for 24 hours and check all the possible leak points. Also in the beginning you will need to refill a few times as all the bubbles come out. Sorry, I don't have an actual number for you.

Initially, during my 24 hour leak test I found a small leak going into my rad. I sealed it with RTV and have not seen any moisture there at all. It's also been about 12 days 24/7, no sign of moisture that I can find. All the bubbles are definitely out, too.

To give people some extra info, I've got 4-5 feet of tubing. I am also folding 24/7, so the water is quite hot. I can feel the warmth through the housing of the radiator.

I'll try to do some calculations based on what people have posted so far:

adam: about 50mL a month with silicone tubing.

ghettocomp: about 250mL per month. there really is a big range on this!

JDXNC: seems you are at the highest, 3mL per month. So this estimate could predict about 12mL at the most for me with my silicone tubing.

Aidenswarrior:
okay, 1 drop is .05mL. so 4 drops/month = .2mL per month. Multiply by 4 for my silicone tubing, this estimates me at .8mL per month.

Last edited:
There's often some "dissolved" air in water too, it works it's way out over time and temperature cycles.
I noticed that the first fill of my system, it took a cup of water to top it off after the first two weeks.
My third refill after a tubing refit and radiator flush hasn't needed any water at all since I filled it 6 months ago. The water jug sat around for a few months beforehand, so it might be that the water was agitated/airated when I first filled it, and then had settled before using it again ( I bought 4 2.5 gallon jugs at one time).

My system holds almost 3 gallons, and my res is one gallon, so an ounce or two might go unnoticed...

Nothing special, I use a truck radiator (not a heatercore) so my res is outside the case.

thank you for your responses everyone. I might try to buy a syringe and see what my loss was over the first two weeks. I'll try to remember to keep track of some data about how often and how much I refill.

if you have any estimates, please keep them coming so I can run the numbers. The more I get, the more accurate average I can get.

I doubt there is going to be any kind of consistent amount that you can count on having to add. It seems to me that evaporation is going to vary depending on environmental conditions and also temperatures inside the system itself. One advantage of using a bit of UV dye is that if you are concerned about a leak, a once over with a UV light like a cathode will reveal leaks very easily. If nothing is leaking, you have nothing to worry about.

I use Masterkleer, and find that I don't normally add any water to my res in between flushings which normally are every 3-4 months or so.

veryhumid said:
I'm wondering what kind of rate I will need to refill my res. Every few days, I seem to notice the change in level and I want to make sure this is normal, and not a leak that dries before I can identify it.

I'm using about 4' of soft silicone tubing. I've been told the rate of evaporation through this kind of tubing is about 4 times faster than through PVC tubing. Could you guys give me an estimate of some volume over a
specific period of time? (so I can estimate how often I will need to refill mine
given there are no leaks)

Also, is it possible to have a leak that dries before it can be identified, which could account for some loss?

thanks! :thup:
I am using nearly 6' of Silicone currently, and have to add water to the loop
on a monthly basis. around 8-10oz. evaporatioin through silicone is huge, but
in my opinion, since starting to use this stuff, it has been worth it. No Kinks,
or other kinds of problems I would have had with vinyl.
Just keep an eye on fluid levels and there should be not real problems.

ghettocomp said:
I am using nearly 6' of Silicone currently, and have to add water to the loop
on a monthly basis. around 8-10oz. evaporatioin through silicone is huge, but
in my opinion, since starting to use this stuff, it has been worth it. No Kinks,
or other kinds of problems I would have had with vinyl.
Just keep an eye on fluid levels and there should be not real problems.

That's for posting ghetto! Makes me feel like my loss is normal, although i'll keep looking for leaks. I feel it's worth it, too. no kinks, and it's all 1/2" ID so it went on the barbs easily.

Electron Chaser said:
I use all Tygon 1/2" ID 1/8" wall tubing and Primochill PC ICE coolant. Since I have had my setup running I have not had to add anything at all.

how long has it been running?

I have to add about a half ounce to my T Line every three months. No biggy. My car guzzles a lot more than that.

Back