• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling horror stories

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haste266

anyone got ne?
fried components? pure stupidity? let us hear!

none yet for me in the watercooling realm as i've only been doing it for 3 months.

Was putting my system back together and forgot to plug the chipset fan in....few minutes later a puff of smoke and BSOD.

wow how often do leaks happen thats my main concern... and my old mans and my girl friends i dont have the kinda cash to have to replace a mobo and a video card assuming something messes up.. i mean what are the odds that a leak will happen?

Satanspet said:
wow how often do leaks happen thats my main concern... and my old mans and my girl friends i dont have the kinda cash to have to replace a mobo and a video card assuming something messes up.. i mean what are the odds that a leak will happen?

the odd are pretty slim as long as everything is done correctly Satanspet
taking ur time and the utmost precaution during the installation/testing phase is the most important part.

brand new thermochill pa120.2 (to replace one that was damaged in the post) quite literally burst when I turned the pump on...something in between the fins gave out - it sprayed water everywhere!! everything was fine tho...just had to buy a 3rd rad :(

Geforce 4 Ti4200, nearly killed it. Had to rub out the mud from the electrical outlet.
Story: Forgot to connect the power for the pump. CPU freezed to protect from overheating.
I reseted the comp several times because I didn't expect anything just though some hardware failure. That mistake nearly killed my GF4. I think I reseted the comp 5 times with 10 minutes period before freezing.

After a month pump broke down. CPU reached 85*C. Nothing happened although.

This incident made me buy the Zalman Reserator 1 Plus. And I have never been more grateful then ever and fully adore my new setup.

my first WC set-up i had everything hooked up perfectly and leak tested. put it all in the case, was so proud, forgot to plug in the pump...
almost killed everything.

Just last week I was working on my first liquid cooling rig and fitted everything all nice and neat. The only thing I noticed was how easily I was able to put the hose around the res barbs. I didn't think about it much though because I put clamps on everything. I started filling the system to do a leak test and about half way through the second bottle of FluidXP+ I heard it leaking. It basically started leaking out between the barb/hose area on the res all over the case and such (I had it all put together inside the case because of my own confidence, heh).

Anyhow, turns out that performance-pcs sent me the wrong sized barbs and they were 3/8". Which was very close to 1/2" and I couldn't really tell the difference off hand. I re-orded the right sized barbs and should have them in a couple days. Good thing the pressure was just enough to show me that the hose would've bursted off if I had been able to go through with a leak test. BTW, I drained all the fluid back into the bottles. At $31 a bottle, who wouldn't?

When I first started watercooling, it was in my freshman dorm room in college. My first setup was a bong cooler, eventually with a peltier and a Maze 2. One morning I got up and as I set my feet down they met wet carpet-I had flooded our entire room! It stunk of water wetter for weeks, so awful.

One day when it was starting to get hot in the springtime, my tubes were in the sunlight and the one going into the top of my bong bent, so I didn't have any flow. I got back to my dorm room to see my computer beeping furiously about the temperature, but condensation from my peltier's coldplate had already dripped on my Geforce 3. It never worked again.

Recently my Swiftech Storm leaked on my 6800 GT and fried it, I hadn't figured where the leak was when I installed my best friend's X800 XT as a backup card. It ended up leaking again while I was in the shower one day, and the leak killed the X800. I RMA'd the 6800 GT on a lifetime warranty from BFG and bought some non-conductive fluid. After a LAN party my system leaked again, but this time I didn't lose a card! Hurray for PC Ice!

I killed my old Powermac G3's chip with an improperly made mounting clip. Thats about it.

When i first setup my WC I fried 2 cards before realising that the rad was leaking from a small in hole.

Lucky for me the cards where brand new and I RMA'D them yes I did ok :)

I have since gone to MCT-40 and I had a leak from a bad seal in a waterblock but nothing was toast...

Almost all my components got covered but they all still worked.

Does a 6800gt that I accidentally chipped a capacitor off of when I was trying to mount it count? The RMA went fine, except I had to take a refund because they discontinued my model....I had all the pipes and shaders unlocked, ********.

Back