• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

black splotch in my res, is it mold?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I just noticed there is a flat black area the size of a pencil eraser in my res. and some small dots near it. It must be organic :(

I have a few drops of betadine iodine solution in my loop with antifreeze and distilled water. Is there a way I could take care of this without tearing things down and thoroughly cleaning it? Should I try adding more of this 10% iodine solution I have?

Thanks!

Theres a chance that its a compound that was formed by the iodine. It is an oxidizer afterall and I'm not sure how it interacts with the antifreeze. It may be forming an organic or inorganic compound depending on what exactly may be oxidizing.

Of course, it could just be some really resiliant algae.

Not that its impossible, but iodine in very small quantities is very toxic to growth. Can you post a pic?

Does it look like this? If so, the iodine you added to your system has fallen out of solution. This could be because you have oversaturated the water with antifreeze and iodine.

hmmm, it's definitely similar to that color, but it's flat. It's also located on part of my res that gets the least water flow.

I'm suprised I oversaturated because I added 1-3 oz of anti-freeze to half a gallon of distilled, and maybe 2-3mL of 10% iodine. I'm going to try to take a pic, but my camera is just awful.

okay, here is a a pic with my crappy camera. I think the brightness of the light totally washed it out, or maybe the color is that bad. If you look closesly at the top of the "ramp" in the res you will see a light gray splotch, and near it a line of light gray splotch. This is what I am talking about, and in fact it's very dark gray. Later on today I'll see if I can get a better camera. What do you guys think?

DSCF0001.JPG

pics w/o flash and better camera!

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

Last edited:
wait, did you just get your loop running :confused: you shouldn't have nay grow especially some this soon.

yeah, it's been going for about 2 weeks now. But it has been running 24/7, and with full load I bet the water temp would be nice and warm for some kind of growth.

I also talked my friend who is a chemistry major.

He said that it was probably not a precipitate, definitely not one of iodine. It would also be very unlikely for one to form this late into running it.

I've used Swiftech HydrX in my last couple builds and I never got any type of growth or buildup or residu, no stains either. I would try using that.

i'm hoping to not have to drain this, though. And I want to figure out what it is before I add anything. Does anyone recognize this as organic? any chemistry people around?

from all the people I have talked to it seems like this is a precipitate. I also talked to my chem friend again, and he says there is no way it is going back into solution without changing the acidity of the solution.

considering I have a 1/4" hole to work with, what would you recommend I do with it? q-tip it out?

veryhumid said:
from all the people I have talked to it seems like this is a precipitate. I also talked to my chem friend again, and he says there is no way it is going back into solution without changing the acidity of the solution.

considering I have a 1/4" hole to work with, what would you recommend I do with it? q-tip it out?

best thing to do is figure out what it is, if its all slimey then it deffinitly growth.

disconnect the reservoir from the loop and clean it with some bleach or ammonia. Before that though, take a sample and look at it or something, to tell what it is.

Back