• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EvoFreak

Hello everyone! I've been visiting this forums for a while now and finally decided to join in. I'm on water right now. Here's the parts that i'm using right now.

Apogee water block
Mcp655 waterpump
MCR120 Rad

I'm thinking of watercooling my Sapphire Radeon x1900xtx because it's so loud that i can't stand. We all know that this card produce a lot of heat. I went watercooling because of noise/performance. I'm going with MCW60 Gpu block but i'm confused about radiator i'm going to buy. anyone recommend me on black ice series radiator.

thanks

thorilan said:
if you like quiet get a bip2 . thats the pro version wich is thinner. this will allow you to use 120x 25mm fans and will still get the job done

Even my CPU is overclocked too?

I have a dual heater core and 2 tt thunderblade fans cooling my OC'd opty and 7800GT. it's more than enough to keep both cool.

it depends on your fans more than anything. the extreme is a thicker core and requires fans with higher pressure rating ( which means more air at much more noise)

so the amount of performance increase you gain would for you, most likely not be worth the bleeding ears.. in fact if you are running quiet fans you can actualy decrease performance slightly if your rad is to large due to your fan/core efficiency.

if you do go with the extreme doing 4x120mx25mm fans in push pull will help but you will still need to run the fans at max to see a measurable increase which again means noise.

a single jr120 core is capapble of running todays processors and video cards with a single 120x25mm pulling fan better than most air cooled solutions . a bip2 with 2 is more surface area ( though i would get a xflow2 pro personally because i like single pass much better e)

EvoFreak said:
why is single pass better than dual pass?

The water has less distance to travel.. I'm going to try to draw down here an example...

<----\.........
.........\........
..........\_____>

<-------------\
.....................|
<-------------/

Terrible example, but thats the general idea.

A single pass rad has a lower pressure drop than a dual pass. So your flow rate is a bit higher with the single pass.

awesome help guys......dicided to go with BIP2 and MCW60. One more question........will it be wrong if i go with this flow:

PUMP--->GPU-->CPU-->RAD----->RES

instead of CPU first from pump?

not wrong as the temp in most loops varies throughout the loop by only by about .5c. However, ideally, the absolute best way to go is pump-rad-cpu-gpu-res . However, it is better to go in the order that provides the simplest tube routing. If that routing changes the order from that, go with the simplest routing.

soloz2 said:
typically it goes pump > rad > cpu so the processor gets the coldest water.
This is an old watercooling myth, do not go by this. The temp of the water changes too little throughout the loop for this to have any meaning. Use whatever order uses the least amount of tubing.

Hey It's me again.......I just found out that my local computer store has swiftech mcr220 in stock. And also is 16 bucks (canadian) cheaper than BIP2. My question is......is it worth getting the MCR220 over the BIP2?. And Also what do you guys think of MCR320? over BIP2?

Last edited:
This was given to me, so I'll give it to you: :welcome: EvoFreak.

Pay it forward when you can.

As to your last question, I opt to let those more knoweledgeable on the subject answer, but will suggest a search as it probably has already been answered.

NODES said:
why not a Car heatercore...?
Heater cores give good bang for the buck, but they're a little too restrictive on the air side to be ideal for a quiet PC. As long as Directron is selling the BIP2 and BIP3 for only $10 more than a heatercore, I'd say that's the way to go. Of course, if your budget is very tight and you can get an appropriate heater core locally for $20 (many autoparts stores charge more), the shipping charges might tip the balance away from the BIPs.

Back