• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water cooling need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignaz

Well soon i'll have my set up here that i'll have till i can aford somthing better and i was wounder what kind of coolent i should use? is this just anti freeze like a car or speical stuff?

for now its just my cpu but i when i get my new set up i'll be doing my cpu gpu and hard drive but heres what i got so far. i'll also be useing AS5 on the cpu water block

hook everything up then fill with the coolent/water mix per directions then turn on the pump and let it run then after the lines are bleed top off the tank and let it run for 24 hours atleast on a white towl "so i can see any leaks easy"

also if the fan on my rad isent all that stong should i swap it out for a stronger fan i got "higher cfm" and will that cool much better?

bignaz said:
Well soon i'll have my set up here that i'll have till i can aford somthing better and i was wounder what kind of coolent i should use? is this just anti freeze like a car or speical stuff?
Yup, regular Antifreeze, 10/90 mixture with distilled water or filtered water.

hook everything up then fill with the coolent/water mix per directions then turn on the pump and let it run then after the lines are bleed top off the tank and let it run for 24 hours atleast on a white towl "so i can see any leaks easy"
Exactly

also if the fan on my rad isent all that stong should i swap it out for a stronger fan i got "higher cfm" and will that cool much better?
Depends on the rad, there is a point where no amount of airflow will help.

ok thanks for the help seems in on the right path. im thingking about makeing another rad so i can run 2 and that should lower my temps. The kit i got is far from the best but its just somthing to get my feet wet since im pretty pressed for money but my rig isent to top of the line so uber cooling really isent needed yet.

i think i just may spend $30-40 more and get another rad of higher qualty than what comes in my kit and run 2

bignaz said:
ok thanks for the help seems in on the right path. im thingking about makeing another rad so i can run 2 and that should lower my temps. The kit i got is far from the best but its just somthing to get my feet wet since im pretty pressed for money but my rig isent to top of the line so uber cooling really isent needed yet.

i think i just may spend $30-40 more and get another rad of higher qualty than what comes in my kit and run 2
What kit?

lol dont laugh or flame me but its a Evercool Mini WC-301 Water Cooler. I just dont have the funds for my set up from dangerden yet so i figures $50 and the reviews are deacent lets just give it a try I only got a sempron 2500+ that runs cool and at most i only oc it to 3100+ speeds so i dont need anything to good untill i get my new set up this summer then slap the Evercool in a old school NES and have the first Water Cooled NES lol.

Since i got some stuff i thought why not try to improve it. i got copper and stuff so i'll try makeing a rad. i got a strong fan so if the stock fan sucks i'll drop that in. im gonna put the thermal paste it comes with in the trash and use some AS5 i got here and mount it outside of my pc so it gets some cooling.

one big question i know this wont be a prob when i get my monster pump from dd on my fx60 rig when i make it but for now i wanna know going off the cpu block im running the lines out from a pci slot. how long can those lines to my pump and rad be before i decrease proformance? the pump is a whimpy 70lph but i just wanna know if i got enought room to sit it infront of my window so it gets some nice cool air lol.

by the way flip thanks for all the help.

My advice is stop throwing money on this kit.
Save up, you need 200-250$ to make a very nice setup.
You got a weak pump, weak rad, low flow. There is no way of making this into a good high end kit as far as I know, if other have better advice please do tell.
I'm glad to help as much as I can.

I agreee...save up until you can get a worthwhile kit. Since your stuff runs cool now I would wait until you have the money to get a good setup.

yeah i know its not good but from what i saw its ok and its only $50. i'm getting a new mobo and a fx-60 this summer then i'll get a $250-300 system for that

i just want somthing better than a stock amd hsf till then. well i'll let you know how everything goes. after i get it i'll see if i can work some magic and do some stuff i learned back when i use to race r c cars. i'll rewind that pump motor lol.

thorilan said:
did you mean make a block? making rads yourself requires a lot of time work knowledge and money to do not to mention special equipment .
I think he means just bending the pipes....
Thats wouldn't work very well I know but I guess thats what he means.

well my famley owns a machine shop so i got all the tools to do it lol.

well i got the kit and compared the stock temps and after heating up the as5 and letting it cool down about 5 times theres now a 12c drop under full load over the stock amd hsf with my 2500+ clocked at 3100+ speeds i must say for only $45 its pretty good. i havent tryed it and compared it with my sempron at normal clocks "what i took the load temp as for the stock amd hsf" because i forgot to do a stock clock run on it before i oced it but overall im pleased with the set up and caint wait till i get my real set up this summer.

i was thinking about adding a gpu water block after the cpu but i think that will be to big of hit on the system even tho some people who had it said they ran another rad. just fine i think i'll stick with just the normal set up for the cpu for max proformance.

Back