• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clarity on the use EK and Danger Dan Full Face GPU WBs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ECH

I just read a thread where one guy used a EK Full Face WB (covers MEM and GPU) along with an attachment for the mosfets...which really don't work unless you put a fan on it. Any way someone needs to clarify the use of these GPU WBs.
-If they are restrictive will you need a more powerful pump?
-The uses in this link reported a 2C drop to the EK from the Maze4 GPU WB. If this junk why is he getting better performance?

that block isn't restrictive at all, and I guess that block out performs the Maze4, it is possible. I couldn't tell you though 100% cause i've never used an EC block, but it does look nice.

-aDaM^ said:
that block isn't restrictive at all, and I guess that block out performs the Maze4, it is possible. I couldn't tell you though 100% cause i've never used an EC block, but it does look nice.

Adam, could you point me to a review or some other data indicating that this particular block isn't restrictive?

aaronjb said:
Adam, could you point me to a review or some other data indicating that this particular block isn't restrictive?

if you actully looked at the block, its obvious its not restrictive.

-aDaM^ said:

Whatever.

Adam, in case you haven't noticed, I'm making an attempt to get you to back your claims with facts or, at the very least, observations. While I can certainly ignore your posts, others may see your stars and take your comments to be well-informed, which they are not.

If you're going to be an "engineer", then you've got a lot to learn about data and validation processes.

aaronjb said:
Whatever.

Adam, in case you haven't noticed, I'm making an attempt to get you to back your claims with facts or, at the very least, observations. While I can certainly ignore your posts, others may see your stars and take your comments to be well-informed, which they are not.

If you're going to be an "engineer", then you've got a lot to learn about data and validation processes.

I'm here to give suggestions and advice, I'm not here to write these huge posts that backup what I say and prove what I say.....I'm not here to prove myself.

and im done with this issue, where suppose to be talking about watercooling ;)

-aDaM^ said:
I'm here to give suggestions and advice, I'm not here to write these huge posts that backup what I say and prove what I say.....I'm not here to prove myself.

and im done with this issue, where suppose to be talking about watercooling ;)

And that's the problem, Adam. You're passing off information to others as if you have the knowledge to really know what you're talking about.

You have no idea whether or not this particular block is restrictive. Please don't make an attempt to influence a purchasing decision with bad information.

-aDaM^ said:
I'm not here to write these huge posts that backup what I say and prove what I say.....I'm not here to prove myself.
You've more than proved this point by your meaningless 1 line responses riddled all over these forums. What you don't realize is that everyone else here is apparently intending to do just the opposite, We give informative posts (which can often be lengthy) and we also prove our points, so that we don't end up spitting something out such as

This is not the first time I've seen someone try and be a visual engineer.

Well, the point of my post was to see if the OP (linked thread) claim of -2C lower then the Maze4 was a valid claim or not...Besides spending more money. I can't find reviews of this type of WB and I think for the amount of money you spend the -2C can be achieved through Maze4 and other cooling alternatives as well as other WC techniques such as:
-loop
-pressure applied to GPU/WB (I wish I had a torque wrench/allen wrench)
-Rad
-Fan used on rad
-Pump used

I also think the most important aspect of making such claims is ambient temps to GPU temp ratio.
-How close are ambient temps to load temps?
-Were there any observations made to ambient temps on the Maze4 vs EK?
-What is the delta spread?

I have seen folk for example: X1900xtx OC 720/830 1.450V 2.131/2.131 1.489V
-20C Idle
-18C Ambient
-33C Load :eek:

Now call me crazy but something is wrong with this picture. Even if the EK's load temps are at 31C there is still something wrong in my opinion given the example I mentioned earlier.

So point is the EK may/may not perform better. Unless we have more data (tests) we will be guessing :shrug:

As you can see temps for gpu are 44c, which is 2c cooler than with my Maze4 (698.3/801). Ambient temp is 21.5c. Minor quibble with the mosfet cooler. Didn't come with mounting screws, so I used a couple from the stock heatsink unit. Also while temps for mosfets are better, not as good as I thought they would be. But again a minor quibble.

Again with Vregs at 73C that's simply way to high and makes the extended wand for the EK pretty useless. With my MC14s I was doing mid 60C without fan

Last edited:
ECH said:
-If they are restrictive will you need a more powerful pump?

It really depends on what pump you're currently using and the design of one block v.s. another. A Maze 1 is a lot less restrictive than a Storm G5 but if you put the Storm on an Enheim compact I'm going to put my money on the Storm being a better performer ;). that said, if two blocks are similar in performance characteristics but you don't have a powerful enough pump to run the restrictive one at its optimal flow then you probably should go for the lower restriction option. Of course, few pumps would have a problem with just a GPU block, problems start when you have two, three, or four waterblocks in a system. You don't necessarily need a more powerful pump but it never hurts.

-The uses in this link reported a 2C drop to the EK from the Maze4 GPU WB. If this junk why is he getting better performance?

Again, it depends a lot on the design of the waterblock. Turbulence is important. Restriction isn't necessarily a bad thing if its traded for turbulence/cooling capacity. The Storm is a perfect example of this. If low restriction was the end-all-be-all of performance, we'd all be using Copper Cap waterblocks instead of the (comparatively) restrictive blocks most of us use.

Last edited:
I've been using a Danger Den NV-78 full face water block and it doesnt add any restriction to my loop and it seems to do its job plenty good enough for me.

Arca_ex said:
I've been using a Danger Den NV-78 full face water block and it doesnt add any restriction to my loop and it seems to do its job plenty good enough for me.

hey lets see some temps...

Back