• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some q's for somewone new to wc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignaz

Ok i got a sempron 2500+ so i dont need anything to top of the line to cool it at most i just run at 3100+ speeds. heres my questions.

i have a rad with a 80mm fan "nothing to big"

70lph pump. yes its a wimp but its all i got

3/8th inch tubeing

AS5

im only useing a cpu block since my graphic card is a 256mb 6600 agp and i'll be getting a better fan for it soon as i can find one that fits it.

dose my pump have enought power with 3/8th inch tubeing to run a black ice rad? alone with the little 80mm i got? I have a fan thats loud but puts out about 5 times more cfm that the fan thats on that 80mm rad i have should i put that on?

For my res. would useing a bigger res put more strain on my pump? or should i go bigger? also would lounger lines hurt the cooling of the set up?

thanks for any and all help. this is only going to be till june when im getting a new pc and top of the line watercooling set up "FX60 and dual 7900's" :) from my girlfriend for my birthday.

like i said this isent a good set up but im not trying to get my cpu into sub zero temps or cool my whole house with it i just want it to cool better than my stock amd fan.

Well since you have everything already, why not just install it?

Pumps in cheap kits are probably just as weak, so just give it a try.

PS Your girlfriend sure likes you to give a present like... unless she is a daughter of some CEO laughing at all the people he has exploited! Either way your'e lucky guy... or girl :santa:

lol shes her famley has money lol. and the deal was i would sell all my guns and keep 1 and for my birthday she would buy me a top of the line everything pc.

so would running longer lines cause proformance problems or would running another rad like a black ice be more harm than good?

Longer lines (aka more tubing) and a second rad (if I understand correctly) would be the 2 worst things you could do for your loop, IMO. Both will have a negative impact on your already crippled flow. I would just try it out as is.

I doubt that any res is going to hurt your flow, just make sure the res is before the pump.

ok thanks.

i'll just see how it works out with some AS5 after the brake in on it. first i'll do a load temp and idle and start up from sitting for a hour then install the water cooling set up and see if it drops them any but it should "really hopeing" even if its 1c thats cool as long as it dosent add and deg to it lol. if it does then i'll put it on my 6600 since the fan on it sucks and its gotta cool better than that thing. "how ruff the bottom of the heatsing is on my 6600 i could probley sand a desk with it lol" but the temps on it are ok so i left well enought alone after i put AS5 on it.

The most important spec for WC pumps is the head, not the LPM, but even if it's a relatively wimpy aquarium pump, you can probably get by. A bigger rad shouldn't be a problem. It might actually be less restrictive than the small one, and I'd definitely recommend it if you've got an 80mm rad now. (Is this a Thermaltake kit?) But with a low-head pump, running two rads might hurt your performance. Keep the tubing runs as short and straight as you can, but if you need to add a foot or so of tubing for some reason, don't worry about it.

ok thanks. its the $45 evercool.

so the less bends the better? i was thinking about makeing a bigger res for the kit. could to big be bad?

Citronym steered you straight on that. The size of the res doesn't really matter. In a small res, forcing the water to make 90 or 180 degree turns might make it slightly more restrictive, and of course small ID diameter fittings won't help. But generally, the res won't make much difference.

If your pump is submersible, and you can take off the inlet fitting leaving a larger inlet hole, putting the pump inside the res will increase your flowrate somewhat.

But as far as I have learned, a submerged pump will add heat to your loop therefore decreasing the efficiency of your setup.

True enough. Most of the energy used by an inline pump winds up in the water anyway, though. If you've got a 20W pump, and the motor is 75% efficient, that's only 5 watts of heat at the pump (though the 15 watts converted to kinetic energy will show up as heat somewhere else in the loop). If half that 5 watts is water cooled and half goes to the air, we're only looking at 2.5W extra heat for sinking the pump.

Back