• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignaz

will the model 1 work for running a deacent system that isent nut bustingly expensive? pump

or model 800 from these pump2

my res. will be small but deep. fitting in under my harddrive takeing up about 5 spots.

this will be replaceing a wimpy 70lph pump on my first system with 3/8th tubes. when i upgrade i'll be adding a "heatercore from a junk yard from a car" or a black ice rad whatever is cheaper. and then down the road going with vga and hdd coolers.

first link danner mag 3 and 5 are ok. not great but for price they are good.
second link the wattage is getting a little to high and there is no pq curve so safe bet to stay away from them.

You don't want a junk yard heatercore when you can buy a '77 bonneyville 302 for about $20 at autozone. Also realize that flow ratings mean little in watercooling systems as head pressure is far more important. Watercooling setups can be quite restrictive and so the pump having enough capability to push the water through is what you are after. As Thor said, the Mag 3 or 5 pumps are Ok, and many still use them. Also remember, you get what you pay for. A cheap pump is, well, a cheap pump.

don't use any of those QuietOne pumps. Do a search on the forums here and you should get some hits back on them. I personally have used 2 of them. They are ok for a month or 2 then they start to rattle...badly. I know a couple of us here tried them when they 1st came out. Basically, they suxors bad.
A cheap pump is, well, a cheap pump by voights

don't have any experience with Mag's but they've been used for a while here.

I bought a used 2-342 on ebay so I know where you're coming from when you wanna go cheap. I cleaned mine thoroughly and it works great. I even polished the copper side fins and brass end tanks. So if you can get the core real cheap I say go for it.

Here's another angle...I have a Marineland s660 Powerhead in a 4" electrical conduit box. I'm using 3/8" tubing, my diy 1in/2out pin grid block, BIM w/pushpull 7v 92mm on 2" resin shrouds cooling a 2600+. It's in my daughters matx HP case. Her case is almost silent. I got that Powerhead for $2 at a garage sale and the Home Depot forgot to charge me on the conduit box. 3/8" really isn't too bad if you're just doing the cpu IMO.

If your going to spend 60ish on a pump trust me spend the extra 20$ or so and buy a good pump. If you do buy a pump off that save some money and go cheap beacuse you will replace it soon.

Im using an eheim 1250 beacuse my cheap hydor l30 for 50$ crapped out after a year. It made a horrible noise and ive even replaced its impeller and it continues today.

I second what voigts said about junkyard heatercores. It's worth $20 to be sure no flakes of corroded metal come loose and tear up your pump impeller or get stuck in your CPU block.

thanks for the help guys. i'll get a new heater core from autozone.

anyone else have any sugestions for cheap pumps but have deacent life spans?

An older article from the mother site http://www.overclockers.com/articles723/

I've been using the ViaAqua 1300 for about 2 years now and my system is on pretty much 24/7. I'd say my setup is fairly restrictive, mainly because of the Danger Den TDX but is fitted throughout with 1/2" everything. I had to modify the inlet pipe with some JB weld to alleviate a minor leak but everything’s been dandy for quite a long while. It runs warm to the touch but I don't think it has any effect on water temps and is almost wisper quiet as long as you keep the pump vibrations out of the case.

Awesome pump IMO

picture of pump in system
sv4000473el.jpg

Slmhofy ... omg.... must have took you FOREVER to prime and bleed that loop.... put some zipties on that tubing it's flattening itself.

yeah, thats a picture from last week before I fixed those pipes, remounted the waterblock and finished purging the system, its doing much better now. thanks :D

newer pic
imgp23046uy.jpg

Last edited:
Back