• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 or Ceramique for moderate load temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

Anyone know how hot AS5 needs to get in order to cure properly? My load temp is 35C, idle 26C, using a temp probe that's next to the die.

Just wondering if I need to swap to Ceramique since that really doesn't have to cure as much as AS5 does..

I'm pretty sure thats warm enough, especially if you cycle it several times letting it cool back down by turning the computer off (or possibly just letting it idle).

Yes yes! Splain!

I've been turning it off every day this week when I leave for work, then on when I come for lunch, then off, then on and 100% in the evenings. But it's only 33C load most of the time (fans on low)... I mean.. my prescott used to IDLE at 35C...

Otter said:
It's worth something. :) It'd be worth more if you explained why.
I find it is much more consistent. What I mean by that is if I perform 10 mounts of a block, they will all be very much inline with each other, unless of course I really jack something up :D Ceramique is also better paste IMO, it does not dry out like AS-5 does. I find AS-5 to actually turn to a cake after about 3-4 months where Ceramique stays it's original consistency much longer.

Also, do not SPREAD your thermal paste... put a dot in the center of the die/IHS and then install the HSF or WB.

Yea I've been under the assumption you only didn't spread it for IHS CPUs, can you offer any additional comments on this nik?

I spread it when i used to use the cheap thermaltake crap, but with AS-5 if just bput a little dot in the middle and mount the HSF

I don't agree with my buddy Nikhsub1 unless your using the paste with Peltiers, super-cooling or the pc gets knocked around (more below about that). Arctic Silver 5 is a better all around thermal paste, don't get me wrong, Ceramique is a good paste as well but it's totally irrelevant and matters none that the consistency stay the same over time. It does not affect anything in the short or long term performance, THE ONLY TIME it could be a problem is if the heatsink or waterblock gets knocked around, if your PC is static and the CPU & Heatsink doesn't get knocked around, the paste consistency as I said is moot and it doesn't make any difference. If you knock around your cpu and Heatsink on a regular basis, like if you take it in your car to lan parties, re-applying AS5 may be necessary if it has already broken in, or Ceramique may be a better choice, but most people don't knock their computers around.

PS, Maviryk, Just follow the instructions regarding several on/offs and wait the instructed time to see the optimal results as instructed at Arctic Silver's website and your good.

PS I believe NASA's choice is Ceramique for the reasons I mentioned, if its in a space vehicle IT WILL get knocked around, thats why they use Ceramique. I think Nikhsub1 likes Ceramique because he is always tinkering with those Giant UFO case mods of his and he knocks his PC around daily :santa: ;)

citronym said:
Yea I've been under the assumption you only didn't spread it for IHS CPUs, can you offer any additional comments on this nik?
I never spread the paste, bare die and especially IHS.

Disagreeing is good. In my experience Ceramique has been better for me. Especially with the silver base WB's... but they are both good. I however, have been using Shin-Etsu and like it better than anything thus far.

ok, thanks nik. I've always spread it, and I've always had bare die CPUs. I had read properly in the past to spread it:
Spread the Arctic Silver thermal compound over the CPU core as shown in the photo
However, that is a tedious operation, especially when thriving for perfection. The next time I mount a cooler, I will try several attempts with each method, and if I can achieve the same results w/o spreading it, I will certainly do so for future applications.

nikhsub1 said:
I however, have been using Shin-Etsu and like it better than anything thus far.
For the same reasons you like Ceramique better than AS5?

you supposed to spread it on bare die's and put a dot on ihs's.

i use cermaque and as5. I just use whatever i can find. My workbench is pretty mesy. I dont really notice a differenc.

nikhsub1 said:
Disagreeing is good. In my experience Ceramique has been better for me. Especially with the silver base WB's... but they are both good. I however, have been using Shin-Etsu and like it better than anything thus far.

Which one? Shin Etsu makes dozens of formulas. The reason Ceramique and AS-5 work well for all is that it's considered a multi user formula. With Shin Etsu and so many different varients, what works well for you may not work well for me. Shin Etsu makes great pastes as well if you can find the best one for your application, only downside is it's difficult to spread, but for you, since you don't spread it, I guess that would work. I've found that tinting the heatsink when I have used Shin Etsu pastes seems to work best for me, then I spread a small amount with a plastic baggie. :rolleyes:

I use whatever generic stuff i have laying around. I mean whats the most i can gain with the other non-genric stuff 1-4c? Thats not gonna change whether your stable or not so why should you invest in it?

Back