• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DangerDen/Laing D4 pump; loud!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

In testing the D4 for my new setup, I've found it is horrendously loud. I've heard that the D5 pumps are basically the same thing, only quieter, but I don't know how much more; anybody know? It was a good, cheap pump, and I wonder if I might as well sell it and invest an additional ~$30 for a D5?

The D5 is said to whine less than the D4, but it's not silent. If your other components are quiet, you should probably go with the 10W version of the DDC instead.

IMO The D5 is ALOT quieter then the D4 and it doesn't make the screeching whineing sound.

Mine (a d4) made a really horrible sound after i dropped it. So I figured I broke it, gave it a good hit and the noise stopped. But i dont think its the same situation you have.

Albaholic said:
Mine (a d4) made a really horrible sound after i dropped it. So I figured I broke it, gave it a good hit and the noise stopped. But i dont think its the same situation you have.
Yes, it could be...dropped while shipping...

The d5 is a major improvement over the d4, and is a fairly quiet pump. If you really want silence, then go with the 10w MCP350/DDC, or the slightly louder 18w which has more flow than the 10w. The 18w DDC still is a lot quieter than the d5 but performs on par if not better than the d5 in restrictive loops.

I went from a Hydor L35 pump and even w/ that pump wrapped in a towel my new D5 at the highest setting is about half as loud! I love mine (granted only had it for acouple days) but it's much quieter than my previous pump

I run a D4 here though can only bare it @ 7 volts. At 12 volts the whining noise soon becomes annoying.

Wish I had a D5...

Having had all 3 pumps discussed, D4,D5,ddc/MCP350(10w ver), i can only say this: If noise is your main concern, get the 10w (the older version) mcp350. D4 is a good pump, yet noisy. D5 is a great pump with good flow and head pressure, alltho no-one will ever call it silent. there is howerver a knob to turn on the D5. Goes from crap performance/low but still annoying noise, all the way up to top performance/louder annoying noise + vibrations.

mcp350 is damn near silent, but has a slightly lower flow than D5, but still good head. Sadly it comes in 3/8" rather than 1/2" connectors. THere are some aftermarket adapters, diff lid, screw-on tank etc, wich are horendeously expensive. Most ppl just get adapters, or do the mod for better frow with a 1/2" inlet, and get one adapter.

*Understand that this is just my own experience and my opinion on noise. Painstakeingly annoying for me might be ok with u. *

Also remember, ive used mostly eheim AC pumps before. They are very quiet, once u get rid of the vibrations.....

But as far as noise/performance ratio go, the mcp350 is a winner in my book.

I just wanted to say wow.... I have a D4 and I would consider it very quiet. I have never tried any other pumps though so I guess I dont really know what I am talking about. The other day I went and hit the power switch thinking my computer was off. The monitor had just powered itself off. It was quiet enough to fool me and thats all I can ask for...

Back