• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor Goes Blank in BIOS-First Time On With Water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

natewildes

I got into the Bios with my new water cooling setup, but about 30 seconds into it the monitor went blank. I got some water on the graphics card last night, but I left it out to dry overnight, and it worked for the very beginning. Any ideas? All the fans are going, the Apogee doesn't feel warm after ~1min (should it?), and I've cleared the CMOS multiple times. I've also plugged the pump into a seperate power supply, just in case it was drawing too much, but it didn't help. Could the CPU have over-heated? It would seem like the computer would shut off completely and not just go blank. If the GPU did short out, can I take it out to dry more (it feels dry) and then try again?

natewildes said:
I got into the Bios with my new water cooling setup, but about 30 seconds into it the monitor went blank. I got some water on the graphics card last night, but I left it out to dry overnight, and it worked for the very beginning. Any ideas? All the fans are going, the Apogee doesn't feel warm after ~1min (should it?), and I've cleared the CMOS multiple times. I've also plugged the pump into a seperate power supply, just in case it was drawing too much, but it didn't help. Could the CPU have over-heated? It would seem like the computer would shut off completely and not just go blank. If the GPU did short out, can I take it out to dry more (it feels dry) and then try again?

did you put alcohol on the part you spilled it on? just cause it isnt wet doesnt mean the water didnt leave any minerals or some kind of particle behind.

Sounds like you killed your videocard, take the card out.Wipe the card down with alcohol and let it dry a couple days. And give it another try. Might work. Good luck

Alright, I wiped it down with alcohol. Do I really need to let it dry for a couple of days? You don't need to let heatsinks dry for days after you clean the thermal compound off....so why does the card need days?

Because the water can ''soak'' into the card, its not made of metal, where by you can merly wipe away the water.

You may want to check that you have a good contact on the CPU because this could cause your pc to shut down as it overheats. Although would have to be a really bad contact for it to shut down that fast.

Easiest thing to do would be to go down to bestbuy/compusa and buy a video card and test your system. This is if you dont have an extra video card laying around that is compatible. If it works just return the video card and ask for your $ back and then you will know if its the video card.

I'm going to let it dry some more before shelling out some more $$. And yes, the system boots, but nothing comes up. The card does have a darker color (green) where the water spilled, so I have it proped up with a box fan blowing on it; hopefully it will dry a little faster that way. This is a good heads-up to water cooling people: cover your parts with an old t-shirt before you leak test ;).

natewildes said:
This is a good heads-up to water cooling people: cover your parts with an old t-shirt before you leak test ;).
or just leaktest out of the case or with no components installed

it might be that your motherboard monitors fan speeds. Mine does. In my system, i have to have a fan (any fan) pluged into the CPU fan spot. otherwise my rig THINKS that it will overheat, and then shuts down. Try plugging a fan where your CPU fan was before you switched to water.

Hope this helps

natewildes said:
I'm going to let it dry some more before shelling out some more $$. And yes, the system boots, but nothing comes up. The card does have a darker color (green) where the water spilled, so I have it proped up with a box fan blowing on it;
I've never had a leak, but it seems to me that if you got the card clean, the spot that got wet wouldn't be a different color. I wouldn't expect either water or antifreeze to change the color of the PCB that quickly. Go at it with alcohol again until all the places that are wet (with the alcohol) look about the same. Then prop it up in front of the fan to dry again.

I have a fan plugged into every fan input on the board, so it's definitely not that. I think I had one of the fittings on the Apogee not screwed on completely, so that's where the water was coming from. It's drying now (for the second time); I got it running after drying it the first time and saw temps of about 40c. That seems a little high, but then again I'm using tap water, antifreeze and a teaspoon of alcohol.....

make sure you clean that card off with rubbing alcohol or Contact Cleaner, if you got CC use that.

Back