• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone try this for coolent?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can't say I ever tried it, but I can tell you this. You won't find a better coolant than water, period. At least not with the means we're working with. Everyone has suggested every liquid as a coolant at one time or another.

I quit using all the special stuff eventually cuz it's always something. I got Glycoshell diluted automotive coolant in my loop right now. It's readily available, contains antifreeze, anti-corrosion, anti-algea, anti-limescale and has a deep blue color...

bignaz said:
The blue stuff in the reuseble ice packs as coolent? if so how is it?

Different suppliers may have different ingredients, but the one I researched (Ice Brix, Polar industries Inc) contains:

By weight:
98% water
2% carboxy methyl cellulose

(on the same MSDS): Re-freezer-brix
0.5% Phenol
1.5% Formaldehyde
5.0% Phenolaulfonic Acid
97% water(Assumed, not listed as such)

I am NOT a chemist.

However, I would not be the first person to try this in a PC WCing application.
The main reason why:
-The MSDS reports these as "Odorless soft clear gel", and "Beige foam in..." respectively. Neither are suitable from what I understand about WCing.

Furthermore, (and I cannot justify the following with facts, but it passes the 'Common sense test') both seem to contain potentially harmful chemicals.
Carboxy Ethyl Cellulose | Phenolaulfonic Acid, Formaldehyde.

Would someone with a better understanding of what these chemicals and compounds can do to a WC loop please elaborate or debunk?

Lancelot said:
I quit using all the special stuff eventually cuz it's always something. I got Glycoshell diluted automotive coolant in my loop right now. It's readily available, contains antifreeze, anti-corrosion, anti-algea, anti-limescale and has a deep blue color...

is this available in the USA?

bignaz said:
any antifreeze thats red? my case and lights are red lol.
use some zerex/distilled water and the zerex makes the water a tinted pinkish red color, if you use more it would be redder I think

Back