• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Upgrade Limitations on Aptiva 2161

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwbhb

A friend of mine is looking to upgrade the memory on his older Aptiva 2161, which is a P233.

He currently has 64 meg. of SDRAM, and I suggested at a minimum, to go to 128 meg.

Since he wanted other upgrades done to his system, I decided to go to IBM's site and check the specs on this model. It says that for memory, the max is 64 meg.

My question is, what would happen if we did put in a 128 meg module. Running Win98SE, would the system only recognize 64 meg? And if we tried, could we do any damage?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Peter.

Since the chip layout on the PCB is different between 32MB, 64MB, 128MB, etc. sticks, I would assume it will not even POST. It will more than likely give you BIOS error beeps and just hate you.

Wouldn't cause any harm but if he's planning on buying, tell him to save his money.

Otherwise it won't detect anything over 64MB.

Thanks for the advice. I will pass on the information.

Peter.

Back