• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need your opinion...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arca_ex

I'm getting a whole new water cooling system and I am going to be using the Danger Den RBX water block on an LGA775 socket.

My question is which was should I run the tubing, so that the splitter and the two tubes going to prongs 1 and 3 push in cold water or pull out warm water, I've seen people do it both ways and I was just wondering if there sere any pros/cons to doing it one way or the other.

hook up the hose that will b puting the water in the block on the middle one and the outake hoses on the other two

Alright thanks for your info on that, I was just wondering the reasoning on it, just to understand how it works.

Arca_ex said:
Alright thanks for your info on that, I was just wondering the reasoning on it, just to understand how it works.
The RBX is a jet impingement block. This means that there are small nozzles that accelerate the incoming coolant to blast the area right over the CPU. The advantage of this is that nearly all the water gets to touch copper before it leaves the block. In a non-impingement block, laminar flow is a significant problem. The water flowing near the copper heats up, but isn't necessarily forced out of the way by cooler water, hence a significant portion of the water is heated only indirectly by other water molecules or not at all.

Now, consider what happens if you run the RBX backwards. You get no jet impingement effect in the block, in fact, you'll probably have more laminar flow than you'd have in a block that was designed without jets. Instead, you get jets blasting up the outlet tube, which isn't going to do you any good at all. Worse yet, the jets will still be quite restrictive. The end result is like trying to win a race with your Ferrari stuck in reverse.

does the lenght of the tubes going FROM the outlets matter before they are merged as one with a Y connector? or can you have the Y connector a good 7-10 inches away ?
Rick

You can have it anywhere you want, it really doesnt matter, most people merge them back together about 3 or 4 inches away to save on tubing.

R B Customs said:
does the lenght of the tubes going FROM the outlets matter before they are merged as one with a Y connector? or can you have the Y connector a good 7-10 inches away ?
Rick
Over the same distance, two tubes will be less restrictive than one, though I doubt that for runs under a foot it will make any practical difference. There's no reason not to put the Y 10 inches away though if it suits some other purpose.

Back