• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TreeNode's WC'n Rig (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TreeNode

computer16ac.jpg

computer28wk.jpg

computer30rj.jpg

Case: SilverStone TJ07
Rad: BIXIII
Pump: MCP655
Res: Typhoon Dual 5.25"
Tubing: Tygon 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD
Liquid: FluidXP+
CPU Block: Swiftech Storm G4 Rev. 2
GPU Blocks: Danger Den NV-78SLI low profile

Temps (idle/load) at 25~ ambient:
CPU 33/42 where air was 42/60+
GPU (top) 37/52 where air was 48/80+
GPU (bottom) 38/54 where air was 46/80+

What I've learned:
Watercooling is not a golden ticket, as you can see my temps aren't phenomenal but far better than they were on air, plus stable. In comparison, I went to a LAN party this weekend a day after I finished the WC build and was able to play games all day for 12 hours with 20 other computers/people in the same 15x15 sized room without a hickup (probably 30+ ambient). Building a WC SLI system has been difficult because I didn't have much information to base my plan upon. One of the things I'd like to note is the difficulty it was in planning the bottom GPU's outlet since it was a straight barb that ran into the bottom of the case. I had to use an elbow here and Dremel a hole in my case.

The biggest thing I learned is listening to the people from OCForums. I even feuded a little, got pi**ed off, but came back and ended up taking everyone's advice in the end because of their experience. I learned everything about watercooling from reading these forums. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
ME WANT!!!! Man that is awsome. A nice computer and a nice WC system. A perfect match.

:thup: that looks AWESOME!!!! :thup:

if thats your first try @ this i cant wait to see your 2nd 3rd 4th etc etc :eek:

glad you: put up with us, stuck it out, and conquered the task! :clap:

1x question... what fans on the RAD?

PS
HERE is my first rig (get a good laugh :))

Last edited:
There are 3 89 CFM fans on the rad pulling fresh air through the radiator. I really wish the bottom GPU card didn't mess up my original plan because you could actually see the fans and their leds looked sweet in the bottom mesh area. Plus, I could've had the PSU switched around (it's sideways down below there) and it also has some bright leds. I can take a pic of the other side tonight and that GPU outlet area.

Nice rad mount! I like the case lets you fit everything even a BIX III!!!
u got my dream mobo!!!! ALSO W/ 4x1GB Corsair Twin 3500LLPro!!!! OMG =O
Sweet rig man! GJ!

Here's my original setup with the rad situated the other way. Notice the elbow from the outlet of the GPU and the horrible flow I would've gotten from it. The res was changed to be higher up and also notice the wrong setup I had with the Storm G4. I had to fix all this in my final setup, but doing something wrong is simply a learning mechanism.

badsetup4oi.jpg

Close up of the outlet/elbow:

lowflow6mx.jpg

wat kinda cold cathodes are those? Thats some sick lighting, i want i want!

I like how everythings sleeved too. I'm too stupid to do it myself. I tried but i didn't know how to work it... <---- retard :p

I really like that case, but for that much $$, might as well get a MountainMods if you don't mind a square piece of aluminum.

What other case can fit 9 hard drives, 5 5 1/4" devices, a triple rad, and 2 PSU's and still have room to spare. :)

Good job looks great! :beer: :beer: :beer:

bumsquad said:
wat kinda cold cathodes are those? I like how everythings sleeved too.
Some ultra bright UVs actually. A lot of stuff I bought was from FrozenCPU and you can pay like $3.00 more to sleeve whatever you buy from them, so that's why I did because I didn't want to mess with it myself :)

veryhumid said:
what kind of fans do you have on the top of the case?
I have 5 Aerocool Xtreme Turbine 2000 120mm fans in the case. 3 on the rad and two on the top. The two in the back are 92mm UV reactive.

Daddyjaxx said:
I really like that case, but for that much $$, might as well get a MountainMods if you don't mind a square piece of aluminum.
I do mind a square piece of aluminum. Heh. An yeah, the case in total came to $420 withoutshipping because the people at performance-pcs cut/rivet a side window on the case. If you can't tell, I wasn't being very budget mindful but more or less, just got what I wanted. Now I just have to be poor for a while :)

FYI, one elbow isn't going to make that much of a difference. The d5 would push through that with no problem.

Nice setup. I like you knew nothing about watercooling before getting onto this forum and learned all I know by reading and experimenting. Now if I just had the $425 you spent on that case so I could go and get a new dual-core cpu...

Turned out very nice.

I'm happy you learned a lot while doing it.

If you were given a fish, you'd eat for a day.
Now you know HOW to fish, you'll be fine from here

:attn:.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I'm having problems with one of my GPU blocks. The bottom block is becoming really hot, and it's exceeding the tempertures described in the original post. The top block is getting around 53c at load now and the bottom is getting around 75c. I think this is the cause of games that utilize the SLI (alternate frame rendering) to eventually show various artifacts. Would the differing temperatures cause these artifacts? Or do you think I might have ruined the card at some point?

So last night I tried to tighten up the block but it was extremely difficult to get to because of the top block being in the way and the fact that the screws are extremely small stars. I'll try reseating it tonight. The problem is, I have FluidXP+, so draining the system is a big no-no cause that stuff is expensive. The problem I had was that I had to do some serious bending and even twisting of one of the tubes. Can the tubes handle this kind of stress? (Tygon 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD).

EDIT: This has been fixed. I've reseated both GPU blocks actually. The screws were so small and short that I had to squeeze the block onto the card more to screw it on more. I don't recommend this for everyone because I was being careful, and this could ruin your cards.

Also, I've noticed that my temps have decreased a lot since everything has settled. I'll update in the original post.

Last edited:
Back