• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC watercool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andyisc00l

anyone considered making an HTPC watercooled PC...I'm talking the home theater styled cases. It'd be nice to have this in a component stacking setup...like with this and dvd, monster power center, receiever, then the PC...and to have it silent, I dunno it might not be possible.

ive thought about it, but have realized iits not really needed. with todays dual cores you can get away with de-clocking and still have enough power. plus, its harder making a silent watercooled pc than a air cooled one. you can just OC the h20 one alot harder.

but if you really wanna do it, id suggest using an external setup just to make life easy. plus itll be so much simpler to get it quiet.

It's funny this thread was started because I already knew that once I finished my first WC'n rig just last weekend, I would work on a silent water cooled media center PC. So, to answer the question, not yet.

I thought about it when I built my htpc a year ago. and had looked several options, external (e.g. Zalman Resonator, etc.) and internal but with the heat core hanging at the back of the case (e.g. Swiftech has a small heat core and combo that should fit a htpc case), but had gave up the thought mainly due to the $$ issue. they are just too much $$ for just quiet down a htpc imho!!

you can built a fairly quiet htpc if you carefully choose your componets nowaday!! mine was built a year ago and was using a preshot, so it's no as quiet as what one might want for htpc, but seems ok with me using a 7700cu. however, i've been thinking to rebuild my htpc (it's about time since it's over a year old now!!) and use the yonah as the core cpu for low noise and heat while still giving me enough power when transcoding recorded show to wmv or divx for space saving/long term storage.

LandShark said:
I thought about it when I built my htpc a year ago. and had looked several options, external (e.g. Zalman Resonator, etc.) and internal but with the heat core hanging at the back of the case (e.g. Swiftech has a small heat core and combo that should fit a htpc case), but had gave up the thought mainly due to the $$ issue. they are just too much $$ for just quiet down a htpc imho!!

DIY !

That is how I do this. Costs me around $20-$25 / computer and 2-4 hours time. Temps get nearly as good as the high(er) end stuff, Depending on design.

Back