• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bigger rad needed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ECH

I was thinking of also WC my CPU as well
current setup:
Laing D5 1/2 barb and tubing
Maze4
Black Ice Extreme Rad SKU: BIXXF-S198

What I am looking to do:
Modify loop to include Storm for CPU.

Reason: I experienced a 90F on Friday and I had to reduce OC do to heat problems as humidity was enough to choke the life out of a goat and, this was at night!!

Should I keep the Rad and get th Storm or should I get a larger rad?

system:
X1900xtx
660 OC 4.2
P5WD2-E Prem
2 gig of ram

Last edited:
it would be nice to know your system components :p

btw, your dilema is that of one which makes no sense. So, if you plan on cooling your cpu, depending on what it is of course, most likey, you will need a bigger rad. so yea.

Aidenswarrior, stop with this 'common sense' as they call it! Without knowing your components, I can say that a BIX will do fine, a BIX3 ro BIX2 will only drop your temps further, and probably won't give you much more OC ability.

First things first, a bigger rad will help, to a point. If you are running a single BIX, then getting a BIX2 or 3 will definately help. Next, if your ambient is 90F, what do you expect? No cooling is magic and ALL cooling is dependent on ambient temps, even phase. The warmer ambient is the warmer everything is. Now, I would go with a BIP2 or 3 over the BIX series personally.

Yeas, nik has hit the nail squarely on the head here. The bigger radiator will help, but your main problem is the ambient temps that you are dealing with. This is a problem that I have to deal with at least 11 months out of the year due to my location in south LA, where the heat and humidity get brutal. I have a window AC installed in my computer room to keep things cooled down and it pretty much has to run all year long to keep my ambient temps acceptable. I pay for it in increased electricity costs, but that's the price I have to pay to be able to run 8 computers at the house.

Yeah, your ambient temp is high enough that you'll need a massive radiator and some really high powered fans to keep the temps at least constant.....

great, thanks guys. It makes a lot sense now... and Mudducktor really put things into prospective...

i didnt know they even had computers in louisiana . especialy places like deridder ( dry parish) and anyone from leesville or new launo might mistake water cooling for something else

Back