• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 fan on a rad or 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
depends which rad you are running? what fans are you talking about? what are you cooling? what are your goals (overclocking vs silence) what components you have?

these questions need to be answered before you can get an accurate response

small little crappy rad that came with my wc-301. i got it mounted like a real wc kit lol. so i can put some more fans on it and i dont have the unit sitting over top of the most expensive thing in my comptuter "graphics card lol"

all i gotta cool is 65wats of power from ym sempron 2500+ i just want a little better cooling than the stock hsf or equal temps and just haveing the wc bling look in my case lol.

That's an 80mm rad?

It depends on the fan you use and how many volts you give it, but if the stock sink was almost good enough for you, you can probably get by with one fan. A second fan might let you run a bit more quietly (depends on the fans and how restrictive that rad is on the air side). If you want to move beyond bling, you'll want a bigger rad.

If some guy on the street offers you a free heater core, just say no! Heater cores are gateway cooling components leading to larger automotive rads, expensive purpose-built radiators, and even silver waterblocks. :eek:

Otter said:
If some guy on the street offers you a free heater core, just say no! Heater cores are gateway cooling components leading to larger automotive rads, expensive purpose-built radiators, and even silver waterblocks. :eek:
OMG I almost busted it after reading that. Def an addiction.

lol

ok for my upgrades im gonna plan it out like this but so far even when i oc'ed from 1.4ghz to 2.1 i havent hit over 36c usualy only a 3c gain in temp under load. but im gonna do this.

new pump and res.

new rad.

new cpu block with bigger lines

vga block

gonna do it in steps since i cant aford it lol.

im suprised on how the qualty of my wc-301 is and how good it works. even oc'ed from 1.4 to 2.1 i havent went over 37c in my room thats about as hot as south america. under normal clocks between idle and full load for over a hour theres only a 3c-4c rise in temp but then again i only gotta cool 65watts of power lol. try that on a fx-60 and the magic smoke will come out lol.

well i just saw my temp now under normal internet surfing is now at 29c acoreding to everist. mind you right now im at 2.11ghz from 1.4 so that as5 must be setting in lol. mobo is still at 32c since i live in michigan but my room is located in the jungle of south america and opening a window dosent help since my room has no air flow.

ps i know my temps are off im probly cooler than what my bios reads and what everst reads since the stock temp probes "LIE" my hdd acordeing to everst is at 16c lol maybe i should put that on my cpu lol. i got a temp probe but its old but its reading my mouth as 97.0 deg. and the room temp as 75.0 deg

Otter said:
Heater cores are gateway cooling components

AHHH.. so thats were it starts ;)

This would be the "gateway drug" of sorts then :cool:

nice to hear a single 80mm rad was enough for you septy. bignaz :D

i need a bigger rad. last night i couldent sleep and i robed a guy for rad money and then spent it all on anti freeze....i got a problem :(

Back