• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Obligations on water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aao_pwner

Hey guys,

I was thinking about getting a water cooling system for my rig im gonna build that is goning to have an FX60. What are my obligations if i decide to use water cooling, I have never used water cooling before so I have no idea, I herd you had to change the water every like 3 months, because of algy, but doesn't algy need oxygen to grow?

What's your guys' opinion on the FX60 anyway?

If you use anti freeze and put a drop of iadion in it that kills it so you shouldent have any problems. i just got into watercooling a few days ago and love it. even tho i got a cheap set up it cools my sempy nice.

You may have to change the water at certain intervals, but not because of algae. We use agents to kill algae. It's not uncommon to go a year w/o changing coolant. So your obligations would be to change the fluid as needed and keep your rad clean.

What water cooling kit do you suggest for a noob like me, i only want to cool the FX60 im probably going to get. Also: What risks are involved in water cooling, like i dont want the fluid leeking everywhere and screwing crap up.

well for a fx-60 i wouldent use the kit i got lol. i would stay awa from kits for that kind of cpu. i would say buy some fairly top of the line parts but im a noob still but a kit wont be your best bet. but otter could tell you what you need.

the FX-60 is 110watts so my little $50 evercool wc-301 wont cool it like it would need to be lol. my sempy is only 65watts lol

i was worryed about leaks to but i only had 1 when i forgot a o rin in a fitting but i did a 1 day test out of my case and cought it and fixed it. i also used some teflon tape to take all the fittings before screwing them in to make shure its water tight if the o ring fails. run your set up out of your case for atleast 24 hours i put mine on a white towle and put a layer of napkins under it so i could spot a leak easy.

theres non conductive coolents.

just remember these rules.

mesure...mesure...mesure then cut.

if somthing dosent feel right or look right ask here

fallow the directions

test outside of your rig for atleast 24 hours

aao_pwner said:
What's your guys' opinion on the FX60 anyway?

I know this is a water cooling thread but you asked..

I think you can get similar performance out of a nice opty dual core chip.. like a 170 and save you some money for some extra nice cooling ;)

greenmaji said:
I know this is a water cooling thread but you asked..

I think you can get similar performance out of a nice opty dual core chip.. like a 170 and save you some money for some extra nice cooling ;)

yeah, its pretty easy to get a opteron that runs as fast or faster than an fx-60 when overclocked...

read the stickies...then come back to us with more specific questions.

also read the stickies here

Thanks a lot guys. Also, do you guys have an easy guide on overclocking through like the BIOS (not to sound too noobie) with an opteron, when I get it.

FX-60 = unlocked multiplier

Check out my sig and link to my water cooled computer (just recently finished) to get an idea. I wouldn't get a kit for such a beautiful CPU btw.

FX-60 = unlocked multiplier

kinda doesn't matter when for the most part they top out about the same or less in some cases as opty dual cores on good water.. now if it isnt cold bugged and your going phase-change or some other extream cooling that would be a different story.. (of corse the opty would go further with the same treatment)

TreeNode.. show us some 3.6Ghz just PCmark04 stable and I'll keep my mouth shut ;) (cuz that might be worth it)

Last edited:
It's probably deviating a bit from what the thread should be talking about but it sticks to the original post...

But, money aside, which would you prefer if it were just "given" to you? If the application was for gaming, I'd definitely get the FX-60. The top twenty AMD scores on 3Dmark06 are all FX-60s. If it was used as a server, I'd probably use the Opteron 885.

Economically, the Opteron 175 would do fine, but that's still around $500. From what I gather, aao doesn't seem to care too much about the price based on what he already owns in his sig.

And oh, here's a stable FX-60 @ 3747Mhz
overclocKingpin.com

TreeNode said:
The top twenty AMD scores on 3Dmark06 are all FX-60s.
Extreem cooling.. all 20 ;)
Have you seen Kingpin's cascade? I have read about it, seen pictures, studied the subjet.. and water cooling just will not suffice to make it worth it for me.. If I had a auto-cascade that ran off a 1/2 hp compressor and got -80C 24/7 I would be inclined to agree with you.. but since no one can build such a machine just yet (there is some fresh blood in the phase-change community right now that might make this a reality soon) but for right now.. NO I would not take the FX-60.. Ive seen better results with optys.. no joke.. (considering reasonable cooling methods)

cascades are HUGE power hugry monsters that are just not a option for gaming.
you might want to do a little more reserch then just checking out ORB scores.. they are very deciving.. IMHO

check out godm@n's new opty 165.. and compare it to your FX60 on water.. you might be supprised how much $276 proc. can get ya ;) (his selecitve pickin of cores will factor in, its not the norm.)

Last edited:
Maji, let's not begin to flame here, we're all friends ;)

I probably need to do more research, I don't know everything, I was merely supplying my understanding of the subject.

Yeah, I've seen some amazing things on some cheaper processors that don't get as hot nor use as much power. Fantastic. But try not to compare my system to some other guys' on water cooling when there are far too many other variables involved. It's not a very good comparison.

If I'm reading it right, he's getting 3242mhz on that chip under water cooling! Niiice. I haven't even begun overclocking my computer to max under water cooling, I just got it all together last week.

If there's anything else you can tell me, please post, I do enjoy learning or even re-vamping my knowledge on this stuff. Thanks!

Ohh.. buddy... no flame intended.. :( I tried to word everything in a more informative way rather then spiking down on you..
I kinda dig Intel for extream cooling anyway :eek: LOL

you have some seriously nice compontent in your rig.. just a few thinks I notice off the top of my head is the max HTT on your mobo might make you use your multi more then exellent overclocking board would.. (its a good stable decent OCing board, but others have higher HTT)
watch for droops in your V's
and seriously, I hope the highest clocks for ya :beer:
3.2+ would be shweet ;)

And if you havn't Vmodded anything yet it would be a shame not to get that thing at max clocks (this is just WAY my oppinon here), maybe you could pay someone with experince to Vmod some of your compontents for you ;)

greef your spot on there are way many diffent factors to consider.. and my head is wrapped around about all of them.. gives me a headache sometimes lol ;)

psst.. Im a bit confused about the popularity of water cooling :eek:

Ater reading your guyses posts, i've opted, to get the AMD Opteron 170. What variables do you guys mean, i have herd good and bad things about the Opterons, I also herd that you can get a "Good," or "Bad," one. Also, what core do you guys suggest. Also, I'm getting it from newegg, so post a link to any processors you think are good.

I went to CompUSA (which is retarded) but where I live they actually have to my knowledge litterate people, and they said, if i don't want to have to replace the water to get a cealed water cooling system. Where can I get a kit, or a guide on what to get, for one of theese.

On the other hand, the custom water coling kits, how secure are the hose clamps, i dont want any... leaks.

From what you guys say, kits are about 100% crap, but I am also a noob, even know you guys hate them, what kit can you suggest. Also, can you suggest parts for me to build a custom one my self, i kinda have an idea to do it. I want a high end one, and, how do i make it so i NEVER have to replace the water, or not vary often (like i've herde every year, 3 months, 3 years, and 5 years.

As with any system with movement. You will have to perform maintenance. Even the kits will require checking and making sure it is performing correctly. Also you will have to install it. So going with a quality kit will be not much more then selecting really high quality parts and installing them. Your still stuck with testing and adding stuff into the lines to prevent growth. Going custom will give you the advantage of knowing how the system works. The pre-charged units will not give you results to make a quality enviroment. It will be a waste of funds actually.

If you keep an eye on any issues like growth that appear you can go for a long time. Just like any plumbing system. That is why public water works put in clorine into water to prevent growth. In the case of water cooling you will be using distilled water. The minerals ( in tap water) will not be good for a water cooled unit. So your better off just picking out selected parts and getting really nice results.

Water coolers go one step beyond and add other chems that will be toxic to life and prevent animal life from forming. With clear tubing, you can monitor any critters in the lines. It all depends on how far you go with preventing life in the first place. On the time in between making sure the system is properly configured and running correctly, without life forming. It depends how much effort you give in the first place. If you cut corners, expect ow results. Give it some love and time, it will serve you a long time.

Enablingwolf said:
As with any system with movement. You will have to perform maintenance. Even the kits will require checking and making sure it is performing correctly. Also you will have to install it. So going with a quality kit will be not much more then selecting really high quality parts and installing them. Your still stuck with testing and adding stuff into the lines to prevent growth. Going custom will give you the advantage of knowing how the system works. The pre-charged units will not give you results to make a quality enviroment. It will be a waste of funds actually.

If you keep an eye on any issues like growth that appear you can go for a long time. Just like any plumbing system. That is why public water works put in clorine into water to prevent growth. In the case of water cooling you will be using distilled water. The minerals ( in tap water) will not be good for a water cooled unit. So your better off just picking out selected parts and getting really nice results.

Water coolers go one step beyond and add other chems that will be toxic to life and prevent animal life from forming. With clear tubing, you can monitor any critters in the lines. It all depends on how far you go with preventing life in the first place. On the time in between making sure the system is properly configured and running correctly, without life forming. It depends how much effort you give in the first place. If you cut corners, expect ow results. Give it some love and time, it will serve you a long time.

What solutions can i put in there to prevent growth, can i put the solutions in while adding the water, or when i start seeing life in there. Also, what kit can you suggest? I was looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835127007

or a pump by swifttech, 3/8" pipes, and the adapters (2x VGA, 1x processor, and possibly chipset and hdd).

how's phase change cooling compaired to water cooling? In terms of upkeep and performance: http://www.frozencpu.com/cas-118.html

You can use iodine to prevent growth, but in the event of growth its recommended that you do a tear-down, clean and rebuild.

I wouldn't get a Koolance if it were me, the only kit I would get is a swiftec.

Back