• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poll: UV lights with a WCing setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
UV lights with a WCing setup

The use of UV to sterilize water has been around for quite some time. I am curious whether people with watercooling setups who also have UV lights in the case have noticed any difference in regards to biological growth in their WCing loop.

Last edited:
UV to sterilize water
I'm sorry, what?!

Edit: Aaahhh... I found some stuff on OCforums about this, and I guess it has to be really powerful (and expensive) UV lights... not the ones you typically buy for your computer to glow. Heh.

As for the OP, sorry, can't help, I just never heard of UV being used as a sterilizer. Thanks!!

Last edited:
I think he is refering to UV sterilzation..

And that would be some serious UV.. If it were that powerfull it would be damaging to you.. and Im not so sure the term UV in led's isnt just a name for the color rather then actually emitting UV-A&B radiation.

UV sterilzers use a different wave length mainly UV-C I was just curious whether it would work or not. I was still working on this thread when I inadvertently posted it before I was finished.

yea.. I did seem a bit unfinished (lack of poll up there was a clue and your a senior ;) )

and as I said before, Im pretty sure the light is just named that color.. UV bulbs for water sterilizing actually glow a weird red/purple IME. (and no I didnt yank one out and look its from the MANY pictures Ive seen of them operating.. and a few werid filters Ive seen that had the quarts sleave around the bulb and then a UV protected clear tube housing)

Concern was mentioned on another board about the whole UV and germicidal bulbs thought the following info would be informative as to what safe uv (blacklight) and the bands of uv you don't want to encounter. Be assured the cc lights you use in your cases are safe!

Ultraviolet Light is an invisible band of electromagnetic radiation beteween x-ray radiation and visible light. It is defined
as electromagnetic radiation between 100 and 400 nanometers (nm) and is arbitrarily broken down into three bands, according to its anecdotal effects. UV-A 315 to 400nm, UV-B 280 to 315nm and UV-C 100 to 280nm
UV-A is the least harmful and most commonly found type of UV light, because it has the least energy. UV-A light is often called blacklight, and is used for its relative harmlessness and its ability to cause fluorescent materials to emit
visible light - thus appearing to glow in the dark Most phototherapy and tanning booths also use UV-A lamps.
UV-B is typically the most destructive form of UV light, because it has enough energy to damage biological tissues, yet not quite enough to be completly absorbed by the atomsphere. UV-B is known to cause skin cancer. Since most of the extraterrestrial UV-B light is blocked by the atmosphere, a small change in the ozone layer could dramatically increase the danger of skin cancer. UV-B is most commonly used for UV curing and molecular biology.
Short wavelength UV-C is almost completely absorbed in air within a few hundered meters. When UV-C photons collide with oxygen atoms, the energy exchange causes the formation of ozone. UV-C is almost never observed in nature, since it is absorbed so quickly. Germicidal UV-C lamps are often used to purify air and water, because of their ability to kill bacteria

Back