• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alternative to Viscool CPU V2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aalaardb

Registered
I need a 50x50mm waterblock to replace my homemade waterblock; it needs to be 50x50 to support my TEC. I saw the article on Viscool CPU V2 waterblock and it looks like a good candidate, especially because the mounting leaves plenty of room for the coldplate and TEC. But the pressure drop might be too much for my (intake modded) Swiftech MCP350 which also runs thru a GPU block, radiator and reservoir. I do plan on removing the GPU block when I get a chance. Are there any other 50x50mm waterblocks that have a lower pressure drop? If there aren't and the MCP350 isn't powerful enough, what's a quiet pump that would be powerful enough to work with the Viscool?

Edit, consider the gpu out of the loop.

Last edited:
aalaardb said:
what's a quiet pump that would be powerful enough to work with the Viscool?
A modified MCP350. :) Your pump was made for high resistance setups like that. The Swiftech Storm is even more restrictive V2, but once you take the elbow out of the 350's inlet, it will drive the Storm very well.

Ah you are right, the Storm is bigger than 50x50; it's 50x75. When I looked at it I suppose I assumed it was 33x50 or whatever. I also thought the MCP350 had poor pressure but good flow rate, which is reversed in reality. :shrug:

D-Tek doesn't say the size of the White Water base, but I'll guess it's 50x75 too?
So now that it looks like my options are much broader it looks like there are better waterblocks than the V2. I'm thinking it's a choice between the White Water and the Storm, but I'm leaning towards White Water because of price. What's your opinion, and I'm not adverse to spending the extra money if it's worth it. Since it's the weekend you have 2 days to change my mind. :)

Thanks!

Though the block itself is larger, the contact area of the Storm is about 45x45mm, with the cooling power concentrated in smaller area at the center. Post in the extreme cooling forum about what is best for cooling a TEC. You'll have a better chance of getting a useful answer over there. :)

No need, a search in the EC forum shows there are only 4 options for a 50x50. Quote:
1. Swiftech TEC block, Model MCW5002
2. Danger Den Maze 4 - poor second choice
3. custom

The 4th is the Viscool V2, which judging by its picture is clearly 50x50. But it's also a poor choice over the MCW5002 because the cooling is at the center; the same reason the Maze4 is a poor second choice.

But the MCW5002 was actually designed for a TEC. Only problem is it comes with the parts that I already have (coldplate, TEC, insulation etc) and that drives up the cost to $125 instead of $25.

If I can add my existing TEC I should be able to run both at 5v and that could be slightly more efficient than 1 at 12v with decreased power drain and stress on my 12v line.

This is going to take a bit more thinking.

aalaardb said:
Only problem is it comes with the parts that I already have (coldplate, TEC, insulation etc) and that drives up the cost to $125 instead of $25.
Contact Swiftech. Their tech support staff is usually very helpful and accommodating, and they may be able to sell you the block without all the other stuff, perhaps as a "replacement part".

Too late. I bought an Apogee. It has the same diamond pin matrix setup as the 5002. The only problem might be that although the Apogee is 50x50, the diamond pin matrix takes up less of the 50x50 than the 5002. I will know for sure when it arrives, but either way, as long as the base does in fact cover the TEC I'll keep it, as no doubt it is better than my home made one.

Back