• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Cooling Help Liquid or Air under $100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swimomatic

Registered
Ok.. i've been lookin at a few systems and i'm wanting to keep them around liquid $100 for liquid or 50-60$ for air.. i have a a64 939 socket i'm wanting either the xp-120 w/ panaflo fan or the kingwin 3000 kit..i'm curious if the liquid is worth it or not... or if a good heatsink with a good fan attached.. plus an 80mm in my case and another 80mm would do just fine?

From what I understand compared to self-built systems, watercooling kits aren't generally that great, and anyhow building your own with a $100 budget would be difficult if not impossible. For $50-60 you could get a TT Big Typhoon/ Scythe Ninja/ Tuniq Tower/ or XP-120 that would give you pretty good performance. Your temps wouldn't be quite as low with air cooling but you wouldn't risk leaks from a crummy kit either (I'm looking at you BigWater :temper: [cousin used to have one]).

good luck getting any sort of decent water cooling system for $100 or less. I built mine from all parts etc and it cost me about $250. The info is in my sig, plus tubing, panaflo fans, etc.

I would either save up more or get the XP-120 with a good panaflo or delta fan.

for only $100. you are best sticking with air. The tt big typhoon will get you great temps and will most likely be better than the kinwing kit you were looking at. I have seen the tt big water 745 on sale for $130. and that is a pretty decent wc entry kit. If you need wc on a budget that might be something to look at, but I would also recommend getting custom or the swiftech apex ultra kit, but they cost much more

stay away from thermalcrap and stick with air untill you are ready to do some real OCing and have a littlle more to spend on cooling ( 200 is a much easyer to deal with figure but 120 is ok if you have mod skills)

your post should have answered your own question. it doesn't perform nearly as well to justify ruining your computer.

swimomatic said:
Ok.. i've been lookin at a few systems and i'm wanting to keep them around liquid $100 for liquid or 50-60$ for air.. i have a a64 939 socket i'm wanting either the xp-120 w/ panaflo fan or the kingwin 3000 kit..i'm curious if the liquid is worth it or not... or if a good heatsink with a good fan attached.. plus an 80mm in my case and another 80mm would do just fine?
I have a WC system for sale. Link noted below:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13107

Sorry, buying or selling is not allowed in the open forum outside of the classified section. Please remove the post/link and send a PM instead.

I think you could do water for about 100$.

$20 - Heatercore
$30 - Whitewater Block (Universal Mount)
$40 - Ive seen some decent pumps for $40 In the classifieds
$10 - Tubing.
$2 - Zip ties for hose clamps.
-----
$102
-----

You would also have to pay shipping but only on the waterblock/pump/tubing.

#1 its easy to get great watercooling for $100
#2 holy balls directron has a nice deal on BIP IIIs...

black ice proIII 120mm x 3 $38.12 shipped to VA
Eheim 1048, auction is at $9.95, w/ shipping it will probably be $20
Pump is very weak but it wont hurt you too much, That huge rad will make up for it. Its probably the quietest pump you can use.
WhiteWater universal block $29.80 shipped to VA
3/8" tygon r3603 50' BuyItNow $18 shipped to VA

$105.92

Your shipping may vary. Thats a pretty nice setup. $6 over budget isn't exactly a killer. And thats including shipping. Petsmart carries Mag3's and with coupons people have gotten them for half off (around $30). Course thats pretty rare. But plenty of them go up on ebay. Realistically you won't get more than a few degrees differences in temps between a mag3 and a 1048 though. I'd stick with that BIPIII. thats a killer deal.

ok even with this system.. how will it perform?.. im curious becuz im split between paying 40 bucks for the scythe ninja or getting a 100-120 dollar liquid cooling set... so yea.. if someone can give me performance ratings for both of these it would b much easier for me to choose what i want to buy for my system

O and also, the location where you gave me the black ice pro cooler 3.. is not out of stock.. for good.. ne other suggestions?

swimomatic said:
ok even with this system.. how will it perform?.. im curious becuz im split between paying 40 bucks for the scythe ninja or getting a 100-120 dollar liquid cooling set... so yea.. if someone can give me performance ratings for both of these it would b much easier for me to choose what i want to buy for my system

I don't have exact figures but the rad in that setup is great and the waterblock is pretty good. Actually come to think of it its pretty darn close to the specs of aseteks waterchill kit with a triple radiator. Here is a review http://reviews.pcapex.com/cooling/asetek_power_kit_w-triple_radiator.php?page=4
So if you absolutely need numbers look for other reviews on it. And if you did go with that setup it would give you much lower temps than any HSF.

swimomatic said:
O and also, the location where you gave me the black ice pro cooler 3.. is not out of stock.. for good.. ne other suggestions?

They have the BIP II for the same price:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/iceii.html
Smaller but still a good radiator.

I built my water cooling system for not that expensive.

swiftech apogee(off ebay): $40
tubing(home depot 3/8" vinyl): $15
reservoir:folgers can free
pump(pongmag 250gph 7' head): $45
assorted hardware: $25
-----------------------grand total---
$125~130

That is just for cpu cooling. I am going to add a DD maze4 to my gpu, as soon as the barbs come in the mail, for another $45. But, just for cpu, 120~130 is aobut the best you can do....was for me, at least, because I was on the cheap just like you.

jamesavery22 said:
#1 its easy to get great watercooling for $100
#2 holy balls directron has a nice deal on BIP IIIs...

black ice proIII 120mm x 3 $38.12 shipped to VA
Eheim 1048, auction is at $9.95, w/ shipping it will probably be $20
Pump is very weak but it wont hurt you too much, That huge rad will make up for it. Its probably the quietest pump you can use.
WhiteWater universal block $29.80 shipped to VA
3/8" tygon r3603 50' BuyItNow $18 shipped to VA

$105.92

Your shipping may vary. Thats a pretty nice setup. $6 over budget isn't exactly a killer. And thats including shipping. Petsmart carries Mag3's and with coupons people have gotten them for half off (around $30). Course thats pretty rare. But plenty of them go up on ebay. Realistically you won't get more than a few degrees differences in temps between a mag3 and a 1048 though. I'd stick with that BIPIII. thats a killer deal.

Don't forget that you will want fans on that RAD. So that's a lil more money there

Alright.. so wht i have now on my list to buy is..
HW Labs Black Ice II PC Radiator $30
WhiteWater Water Block $24 *do i need a "Y" adapter for it? and if so.. wht is that.. i've heard it from many places that u need one?*
3/8" Tubing $15 *Home depot*
Eheim 1048 Pump $20 *or pump equivelant price/performance
so that comes out to.. w/o shippping... $90.. and you're saying this setup will perform about the same as the really good $200-something dollar one?.. if i need nething else like fans or nething plez tell me :) thx for the help! *o and im curious at how well the Stock AMD fan performs? lol just for jokes i want to know the difference xD*
Also.. I want to cool my MSI RX800 256e... what's a good peformance for the price gpu block?

jivetrky said:
Don't forget that you will want fans on that RAD. So that's a lil more money there

Yeah but my thinking is he'll need fans for a scythe ninja too :D Unless its the one that comes with a fan :\

swimomatic said:
Alright.. so wht i have now on my list to buy is..
HW Labs Black Ice II PC Radiator $30
WhiteWater Water Block $24 *do i need a "Y" adapter for it? and if so.. wht is that.. i've heard it from many places that u need one?*
3/8" Tubing $15 *Home depot*
Eheim 1048 Pump $20 *or pump equivelant price/performance
so that comes out to.. w/o shippping... $90.. and you're saying this setup will perform about the same as the really good $200-something dollar one?.. if i need nething else like fans or nething plez tell me :) thx for the help! *o and im curious at how well the Stock AMD fan performs? lol just for jokes i want to know the difference xD*
Also.. I want to cool my MSI RX800 256e... what's a good peformance for the price gpu block?

The whitewater from cooltechnica comes with a Y adapter. Before you go any further if you dont know what a Y adapter is and why the whitewater blocks needs one you should reeeeally read up on the block and how it works. Makes me wonder if you know how any of it should be plumbed :stick:

This setup pretty much mirrors the asetek prebuilt kits part for part. The rads are darn close to the exact same dimensions. blocks are the exact same basic design, 1048 is on par with the hydor l35 with so much restriction. So yes it will be pretty close to the same performance. To the point where, assuming you aren't hidding some systemcooling.com quality test bench in your pocket, you'll never tell the difference.
If you want to get a guess of a comparison of what you will have and a stock HSF google for asetek waterchill reviews.

Search the FS/FT forums for a maze4 GPU block. Best deal I can think of. I got one for $20 here.

Yes you do need fans. If you aren't in a rush to get this scour the FS/FT forums for a month. Look for everything you need. I guarantee at some point in time a great deal will show up. Just don't guarantee it will be within a month. Pumps, Rads, blocks, fans, tubing, everything is sold there.

thx so much lol and im curious how many fans? 2 120's or wht? and yea.. i know im not gonna do this just on my own, i have a friend who's done 3 or more water cooling systems and i'm gonna have him guide me through it... and thx for all they help yet again!

Back