• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is UV CCFL lighting kit harmful?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gix330

Registered
as my cousin is a doctor, he told me UV light is very harmful to ppl. So when I was trying to do some mods&lights for my computer, I found there are some different types of lighs: LEDs, Cold Cathodes and UV lights. and some UV kits are actually Cold Cathode Fluorescence.
Well...even my case and the lexan side window could block these UV lights, but I don't want to take the risk. So are these UV lighting kits harmful? and how about those Cold Cathodes lighting kits? I am so confused, wonder anyone could tell me what's going on.
Thanks, guys!

the amount of UV that is harmful is probably not put out from the UV CCFL in any significant amount. Or you would have to sit there in front of the UV Kit for hours on end. Blacklights are routinely used at different venues with no immediate effects and I am sure that the sun puts out more immediate problems then any kit.

UV creates thymine dimers in the skin, which means you get two thymines next to one another in the cellular DNA, which is an unnatural state. This is known to cause cancer if not healed, but your body is constantly healing these dimers (and constantly producing them). I doubt a low-power UV light could cause you much harm at all, even if it was strapped to your arm. Remember there are different types of UV, certain frequencies that cause dimers and some that don't - UV-a and UV-b. I don't know what a CCFL produces...

thanks guys, and I just did some research on Lexan film, and most lexan products could block most UV lights that I guess it should not be a problem using some UV lighting kits inside the case, but it is always good to know b4 taking the risks.

Black lights such as cold cathode lamps, LEDs, and flourescent halloween blacklight bulbs all produce UVA light, which isnt harmful and wont cause skin cancer. UVB, or Hard UV rays are the harmful wavelength that sunscreen protects against and which is energetic enough to damage DNA and other chemical compounds in your skin. There are bulbs that emit UVB for purposes of killing bacteria or for things like developing printed circuit boards and computer processors. Theyre more expensive and youre not in any danger of buying one by mistake. UVA bulbs emit that deep purple visible light that were used to. UVB lamps emit a much lighter sky blue color, but you should avoid actually looking at one since the more energetic UVB light can damage your eyes.

=ACID RAIN= said:
UV creates thymine dimers in the skin, which means you get two thymines next to one another in the cellular DNA, which is an unnatural state. This is known to cause cancer if not healed, but your body is constantly healing these dimers (and constantly producing them).
Having two thymines "next to each other" is quite common in DNA. Having two thymines on the same strand covalently bonded to each other is what is meant by the dimer.

Captain Helghas said:
Having two thymines "next to each other" is quite common in DNA. Having two thymines on the same strand covalently bonded to each other is what is meant by the dimer.
Sorry, been several years since I took genetics 301, but I did listen to the UV topic because I'm so light skinned ;)

almost all plastics block uv light, except the ones that are designed to let it through, like the acrylic on tanning beds. So any UV light wont be getting out of your case anyway

Didn't we have a thread about this a year or so ago? I believe the final verdict by pretty much everyone was that the UV rays emitted from a PC lighting kit wasn't enough to do anything any harm.

UVA and UVB are harmful in excess. Some UVB is required for Vitamin D synthesis, but in excess it's harmful. Your enthusiast level blacklights tend to output in the (UVC 100-280M) range. Household usage or decorative bulbs are nowhere near the intensity levels of sunlight. UVB emitting and high-intensity Blacklights are only used for medical purposes.
DrewDog said:
almost all plastics block uv light, except the ones that are designed to let it through, like the acrylic on tanning beds. So any UV light wont be getting out of your case anyway
Most acrylics will transpass the UV spectrum, so if his window were made out of it the UV spectrum will pass through it. Polycarbonate is fairly unique as a transparent plastic because in all of its forms it blocks most of the UV spectrum.

And no, blacklights are not harmful. They don't transmit harmful wavelengths nor do they transmit at a dangerous level of intensity.
Celeron_Phreak said:
Didn't we have a thread about this a year or so ago? I believe the final verdict by pretty much everyone was that the UV rays emitted from a PC lighting kit wasn't enough to do anything any harm.
There are a few questions that get asked atleast once a year.

Last edited:
There was a rumor floating around, that even though these CCFL's cant realy hurt your skin, it was supposadly proven that it can burn your retina much faster then any other CCFL, LED, or tungsten light can. Just thought I would toss that one out. Incase you are one of 'those' people. :D

If that were the case, I'm positive they wouldn't be around anymore. I'd say that rumor was produced by VERY paranoid people trying to break down the popularity of UV CCFLs.

Well its been proven that almost all forms of UV have the properties needed to cuase intense disruption in the standard visual color spectrum. So maybe there is something to it.

Zort said:
Black lights such as cold cathode lamps, LEDs, and flourescent halloween blacklight bulbs all produce UVA light, which isnt harmful and wont cause skin cancer. UVB, or Hard UV rays are the harmful wavelength that sunscreen protects against and which is energetic enough to damage DNA and other chemical compounds in your skin. There are bulbs that emit UVB for purposes of killing bacteria or for things like developing printed circuit boards and computer processors. Theyre more expensive and youre not in any danger of buying one by mistake. UVA bulbs emit that deep purple visible light that were used to. UVB lamps emit a much lighter sky blue color, but you should avoid actually looking at one since the more energetic UVB light can damage your eyes.
^^^ - nice description.

bosstar said:
UV CCFL is a good choice for sterilization
True. Just don't make the mistake thinking those sterilization lights emit the same wavelength as
"black lights" used for PC modding.

UVA = 315 - 400 nm = found in black light or tanning equipment
UVB = 280 - 315 nm = causes sun burn
UVC = 185 - 280 nm = anti-germicidal & anti-fungal applications

Great explanations guys! :thup:

I also heard that in household/decoritive (the stuff we put in our computer cases) blacklights, the reason why they emit a purplish color is because the UV intensity and wavelength is so "toned down" that is very close to the spectrum of visible light, so some of it actually is in the form of visible light. Does this scientifically make sense or is it just coincidental?

Back