• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another "Any good" question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdm

Registered

Have I forgotten anything - at the moment i'm using an self build external box, but it's a bit awkward when I need to move the pc, so I want to move everything inside the case and after scratching my head for a day and reading the posts on here I'm thinking a Black Ice Extreme with a 120mm fan at the back would do the trick, a t line for filling, a drain plug for.......well......draining and use my swiftech blocks and pump, The pic is how I roughly intend on running pipes, Any suggestions. Hopefully it will be a lot quieter with just the one fan, and still keep my temps down.

Cheers,

rdm

Last edited:
Was posting a 2816x2120 pic necessary?

Not positive, just took a quick glance and the HUGE posted picture but couldn't you reduce some of the tubing by having the pump outlet into the rad?

TreeNode said:
Was posting a 2816x2120 pic necessary?

Not positive, just took a quick glance and the HUGE posted picture but couldn't you reduce some of the tubing by having the pump outlet into the rad?

Sorry about the pic LMAO when I looked back to see it. :-/

Funny you should mention the route - i'm just looking at that now, i've ordered plenty of tubing so i'll be able to see what's best, thanks for the comment.

Any more ideas anyone??

Thanks,

rdm

Personally, I'd keep the drain, but don't change your routing to accomodate it. It doesn't really matter how long the drain line is, but it does matter how much tubing is in your working loop.

It looks like pump>GPU>CPU>rad>pump would save you a foot or so of tubing. That will probably do more for you than the fraction of a C you'll gain by putting the CPU first. Close call, but it should also be easier to bleed that way.

The harder your fans have to work to do their job, the more noise they're going to make. For quiet, think slower, weaker fans, and more of them with a larger rad, instead of a single fan dragging air through through the case and a restrictive 120x120 rad. BIP rads work as well or better with quiet fans than BIX. The setup you have there might work for you, though -- it all depends on how quiet you want it to be.

ziggo0 said:
Hey! It's a P160! Only the hardcore ones venture into water with these cases, a very tight fit. If your going to stick with a 1x120mm rad that would probaly be your best bet. If you want to go 2x120mm, look at this: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=452006

Just had a look - Nice work, I thought about chopping into the top of mine but bottled it, i'm gonna give it a go internal for the mo, but i'll keep hold of my dual rad for a bit to see what happens, i'll post some pics when I get started.

Cheers,

rdm

Otter said:
The harder your fans have to work to do their job, the more noise they're going to make. For quiet, think slower, weaker fans, and more of them with a larger rad, instead of a single fan dragging air through through the case and a restrictive 120x120 rad. BIP rads work as well or better with quiet fans than BIX. The setup you have there might work for you, though -- it all depends on how quiet you want it to be.

I'm hoping it'll be a bit quieter than my setup at the minute because of the double fans on my external box (see my sig for the pic) plus my 2 case fans, and as for tubing length you wouldn't believe how much there is at the moment, should be losing a good few feet as the box is a fair bit away from my pc, so hopefully even though it's a smaller rad with just one fan working at full pelt i'm guessing I might get somewhere near my temps and less noise than there is now.

Thanks for the advice and keep 'em coming.

rdm

If you had four powerful fans running at 12v before, one would be about six db quieter. Clearly less noisy, but still loud by some standards. OTOH, if you got fans that were half as loud (10db less), you could run 8 of them for about the same noise as that one high-powered fan.

Where does the exhaust from your rad go? I was thinking it would go out the top of the case, but you say you're not cutting a hole for it?

Otter said:
It looks like pump>GPU>CPU>rad>pump would save you a foot or so of tubing....it should also be easier to bleed that way.
Agreed, but won't the pump be about 1 1/2 times bigger than is drawn? If so, that would put the top of the pump almost even with the gpu and that would be a seriously tight bend. Even so if you can swing the bend I think I would try it that way.

Also, I think I would just put the rez inline right brfore the pump instead of way up top because considering your pump and everything I don't think it would help anything up there other than maybe filling.

Just my thoughts. Enjoy.

I was just going by the pic. Definitely avoid any sharp bends if you can.

Otter said:
Where does the exhaust from your rad go? I was thinking it would go out the top of the case, but you say you're not cutting a hole for it?
Ooooohhhhh..This is gonna start the whole "is it better to push or pull air through a rad" debate, but..............I was gonna push it out the back, be kind. So, take the existing 120mm off the case put a rad on and then put the fan back on over the rad. (There's already a big hole for it as standard on these cases so no need to cut).

Cheers,

rdm

rdm said:
I was gonna push it out the back, be kind. So, take the existing 120mm off the case put a rad on and then put the fan back on over the rad.
Ah okay, that'll work. :) For some reason I thought you were mounting the rad horizonatally.

A shroud would help a bit with both noise and performance. Getting rid of the finger guard, or at least leaving a couple inches between it and the fan, will help with noise too.

Back