• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choose WC parts for my LianLi Pc-61

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooreswhat

Hey everyone,

* List why you want to watercool:
So I can cool my opty enough to let it hit 3Ghz (Stock AMD cooler doesnt get you very far)
* List your budget:
Aprox 250$ CAD
* List what tools you have or have access to:
Enough
* List what kind of encloser (case) you have. And whether you are willing to cut it up.:
Lian Li PC-61, Yes I am willing to cut it, I already did a window mod.
* List what computer parts you have:
See sig

I am very tempted by watercooling, I am looking to spend like 250$ Canadian on this. I only want WC for my CPU, not GPU or NB. It all needs to fit in a Lian Li PC-61. So far I like these 2 parts:

DangerDen TDX cpu block --- Swiftech Apogee --- Storm (but it seems too expensive)
Swiftech MCP-655
Black Ice Xtreme Radiator

Not sure about rad etc. Could use your advice.

Thanks

FYI, this is the case:

windowmod0017kz.jpg

windowmod0125ww.jpg

Last edited:
You will probably find if you go water that you will want to watercool your GPU also. Most people do. Given that, a BIPII would be a good choice to consider as a balance between noise/performance as it is thinner and hence works well with low cfm fans. I would recommend the 18w MCP355 over the MCP655 as it is a lot smaller and quieter and would perform the same.

655 pump
apogee block ( unless you want to go to the storm)
depending on where you want to mount rad either a black ice PRO2 ( for quiet with smaller fans) or a Xflow PRO2 ( again for silence )
since with your cpu you will get great performnace OCing and dont need a completely uber system.

you can also consider using a new DDC and just adapt it from 3/8 to 1/2 or 7/16
and also you can flow mod the pump itself and change it to 1/2 at the inlet if you want or even make your own top and make it completely 1/2 native like voigts top.

for res/ t line . ill show you what to do later or can make you one IF you arnt interested in it being clear ( white PVC)

Ok so:

Swiftech Apogee
Swiftech MCP-655
Black Ice Pro2 Radiator

Do I need a res? What purpose does it serve? Also does the Apogee outperform the DD TDX?

For res and fillports how is the 1/2" Fillport Resevoir CLEAR - Danger Den and some 1/2" Danger Den fillports?

I've mounted in a Lian-Li PC65 before, this is how I set it up.

Storm
BIX mounted above the Optical drives
MCP-350 mounted ontop of one optical drive.

Nevermind im not going to be using a res anymore, just a T with a fillport at te top.

This is the plan:

Swiftech Apogee
Swiftech MCP-655
Black Ice Pro2 Radiator
T Line with DD fillprt
2Fans for the rad
RadGrillz for th top (where rad is mounted)
1/2" tubes + Clamps

How does that sound? Any better parts for the same price?

I'd choose MCR-220 Rad over BIP2, they're the same price but MCR-220 is a bit thicker and also a bit better performance

the pro is thinner and so uses a less powerfull fan so its generally quieter.
the thicker a rad the stronger its fans need to be to generate the force neccessary to go through .
so unless you are using strong high speed fans you are just adding to much resistance to your loop for the amount of fan cooling.

a lot of people over do it on the rad because they dont use high power fans or they under do it on the fans you could say.
another group is those that start with a nice system with thick core and high power fans and then discover that lower powered fans that are quieter yield nearly the same OVERCLOCK when using a thinner core with a savings of noise.
example of using 103cfm fans on a thick core only netting you 20mhz more than a system using a thin core and only 48cfm with literally one twentieth the noise.

thicker rads does not need to use stronger fan for example Thermochill PA Series Radiators, they are thickest compared to MCR-220 and BIP but still optimized using low CFM Fans, the difference of BIP, MCR220, and PA Series is fins density. BIP fins are too tight, too restriction but due to thickness of 25mm which is good for low CFM fans, and MCR220 fins density are not tight and more like PA Series has less restriction which improves airflow through the fins and reduce the noise level even with the thickness of 34mm (Swiftech MCR220-QP Radiator)

Arca_ex said:
How would one be better if they both can only bring water down to ambient temperature?
I don't think any computer radiators can bring the water down to ambient temperature, so different models show improvements over how much heat they can dissipate with different amounts air/noise.

OCS911 said:
thicker rads does not need to use stronger fan for example Thermochill PA Series Radiators, they are thickest compared to MCR-220 and BIP but still optimized using low CFM Fans, the difference of BIP, MCR220, and PA Series is fins density. BIP fins are too tight, too restriction but due to thickness of 25mm which is good for low CFM fans, and MCR220 fins density are not tight and more like PA Series has less restriction which improves airflow through the fins and reduce the noise level even with the thickness of 34mm (Swiftech MCR220-QP Radiator)
that still does not prove it is better.

you are still saying a rad with less dense fins but deeper is better without knowing what his preference for fans is and how any givin fan will work. you just cant do that. you are making a statement of fact that has no backing other than opinion

if you use a low speed delta 120x38 tri blade its like 80cfm only 34db... thats enough pressure and cfm for a BIX and low noise :beer:

Back