• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STASIS NCX-1 CPU Waterblock Worklog

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

consumer9000

Former STASIS Guy
Here's my latest project (and eventually product). After considering a number of different designs the engineers I have been working with felt a high density jet impingement design would provide the best performance. The current Swiftech STORM block is the overall performance leader, but it's design has been eclipsed by Cathar's next generation STORM G7 - though a part has yet to reach the market. Understandably the machining costs are dramatically higher to manufacture a successor to the comparitively simple G5.

This new waterblock, which will likely be called the NCX-1 has been designed from the ground up to deliver unbeatable cooling for today's larger CPU's. Featuring 85 impingement jets covering a larger surface area projected performance values are well above current levels. For maximum efficiency the thickness of the base at the bottom of the jet pockets is only .025" (0.635 millimeters).
The midplate has been designed to minimize headloss and crossflow and will be manufactured from Acetal (Delrin).
The top will be machined from Acetal and willl sport 1/2" NPT or BSP threading.

Once the first units are completed, they will be sent out to various reviewers (including Joe Citarella). :thup:

I expect to have the first dozen samples ready by the end of the month. CPU compatibility is: All AMD Socket 939, 940, AM2 and Intel Socket 478, LGA775.

I'll keep putting up pictures as each stage is completed. Please feel free to leave whatever feedback or suggestions.

Last edited:
Machining tolerances will be held within .005" and base flatness >.0009"

Attachments

• NCX1_BSE 04.jpg
    NCX1_BSE 04.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 841
I'm a glutton for punishment...

This time I'm making sure everything is perfect before release. The O-Rings are being spec'd by the engineers to eliminate any potential leakage/crossflow within the internal streams, and of course outside the block. ;)

Has your testing shown that the G4's performance tapers off when applied to dual core or IHS processors? The primary cooling patch of the G4 should be quite capable of handling even fairly large dual core Intel processors.

I believe the larger cooling patch (and thusly the much larger jets/cups) is a negative trade-off, especially for single core, IHS equipped processors.

Do your cups incorporate microturbulators?

Testing has shown that in order to achieve greater performance, the density per sq/inch as well as the overall surface area directly covered by jets must be maximized.
The G4/G5 units are relatively crude, with a low number of rather large pockets covering an inadequately sized surface patch.

Currently the impingement pocket layout we have gone with affords both the greater density and increased overall surface area covered needed to step up performance.

The base of the cup is not flat, but dished at a slight angle as it is being cut with a carbide drill. If an appreciable performance increase is observed by using a small endmill and leaving a turbulator at the bottom of each pocket then that will be the manufacturing method chosen. :shrug:

any chance you have projected prices for them? i know when conroe shows up I'm going back to wc. this might just be the block i get.

i read over your posts 2 to find what I'm about to ask. will the block have a single outlet or dual outlets? will the barbs be chrome/plastic/some other material.

Sounds interesting,

I wonder if Cathar or Swiftech have anything to say about this? Just thinking they must have some patent on this design.

Either way, MORE PICS PLEASE!!!! :)

Bryan d

consumer9000 said:
If an appreciable performance increase is observed by using a small endmill and leaving a turbulator at the bottom of each pocket then that will be the manufacturing method chosen.
I believe you'll find this is the case (depends on your definition of appreciable, of course).

bryan_d said:
I wonder if Cathar or Swiftech have anything to say about this? Just thinking they must have some patent on this design.
My understanding is that Gabe only has a patent pending for the diamond pin matrix (and a general patent for their heatsink designs).

I have complete respect for Cathar and all his work, as he truly pioneered "engineered" cooling solutions for pc watercooling. My personal system has a Swiftech STORM, but like the rest of you, I am always looking to push the performance envelope.
After seeing the teaser pictures of the G7 and waiting and waiting for a retail part I finally decided to sit down with several engineers to see what could be done to bring something comparable to fruition. We spent the last 2 months developing a feasible design. The following weeks are going to be spent working closely with the machinists who will be manufacturing the components.

While hypothetical computational modeling shows promising results, I like the rest of you await the opportunity to get hard numbers based on real world testing.

As for the legal side of things my patent attorney has confirmed that all patents related to "jet impingement" cooling have long expired and the application of this technology can no longer be deemed proprietary. :rolleyes:

could you show pictures of the actual cups on the block?

are they just a rounded bottom like the cascades, or do they have the little nipple in the botton like the storms?

looks like a very nice block - just make sure you step the base to clear capacitors around the LGA775 socket (cathar ran into this issue with the G4/5's)

and for barbs, you might want to use a straight-thread fitting like NSPM or GST with an o-ring lip, and a recieving o-ring groove in the top of the block :thup:

edit: also I suggest you put some alligning tabs on the block to keep the plates alligned and all the jets centered where they're supposed to be

-JR

**raises hand for reviewing position if you need anyone else**

All I can say is that Cathar spent countless hours fine tuning everything in the Storm. Jet size, cup size, number of cups, cup dimension, cup placement etc, etc, etc. You have a lot of work ahead of you Consumer if you are to out perform the Storm. Once completed you should send one to Lee "RoboTech" Garbutt over at systemcooling.com as he has the most competent test bench at the moment and is one of the best WB testers out there.

I wouldn't call the G4/G5s crude blocks as no other block in existence and available to consumers can come close to achieving better performance yet. If you can be competitive with the performance of the G5 and soon the G7, you will have done something worthy of high praise.

Voodoo Rufus said:
I wouldn't call the G4/G5s crude blocks as no other block in existence and available to consumers can come close to achieving better performance yet. If you can be competitive with the performance of the G5 and soon the G7, you will have done something worthy of high praise.

Not to mention the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Back