• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

designing a manifold system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

I frequently mess with my watercooling system. But I have gotten very tired of having to take everything apart and drain the system if I want to disconnect one part. So my solution is to institute the use of a manifold. Now, I am in the preliminary stages of the design and am confused by a few aspects of the concept. So, here is what I've got so far. It all starts with the heater core....from there it goes to the manifold which has an array of outlets controlled by ball valves. Each outlet leads to a seperate component on the computer: cpu, gpu, chipset. Now, from the components, what do I do? Do I have another manifold after them to collect all the paths. That manifold dumps in to the reservoir which leads to the pump which pumps in to the heater core. Is there another, easier way of accomplishing what I want?

here are some picture:

This is what I know for sure at the moment:

And this is what I am thinking:

edit: i can never get thumbnails to work

Last edited:
What you have drawn out is the most practical way of doing it. I will add though that liquid like most things will take the path of least resistance. That being said I would recommend placing flow controls on each of the outputs on the output side of the pump manifold. This would allow you to tweak and balance the flow to ensure that each component is getting adequate cooling.

Yeah, I figured I would need a pressure regulator of some sort in order to make this work most efficiently. But you are saying that in order to make this work I will need two manifolds? What kind of construction would be the best? I was thinking a thick walled pvc length and then drill/tap some holes for the ball valves.

striker85 said:
Yeah, I figured I would need a pressure regulator of some sort in order to make this work most efficiently. But you are saying that in order to make this work I will need two manifolds? What kind of construction would be the best? I was thinking a thick walled pvc length and then drill/tap some holes for the ball valves.

Not pressure regulators but flow controls they are not the same thing so do not get the 2 confused. I would definately set it up as a meter out configuration as well.

The 2nd manifold would allow and central point for all the coolant to return to the reservoir and make a neat package as well. While it is not required it would look better then having a reservoir with a half a dozen tubes running into it.

If I were going to do this I would do it right and not take chances rigging something up. I would proably use something along these lines to get the job done.

Aluminum Water Manifolds

Instead of running your components in parallel which will slow down your flow to each component, why don't you just put a valve before and after each component? I am thinking 4 valves. One would go after the heatercore/before cpu, one between cpu/gpu, one between gpu/chipset, and one after chipset. Cut any two valves off and you have isolated that component. This way you also would be running in series which would maintain your flow and eliminating the problem of water taking the path of least resistance causing uneven flow between components. You could use either PVC or copper needle valves.

I don't see why pvc wouldn't work. We have a pvc manifold on the farm we made a few years ago that we use every year that is still working. You just can't abuse it too much, it is plastic. It's 1 1/2" pipe I think about 10-12" long with the input in the middle on one side and the four outputs spread out along the other side. The ends are pieces of thick plastic epoxied in. It handles 20 psi without a problem.

As for the flow control you could use orifices, little plastic or metal disk with the size of the hole in the middle dependent upon the flow you want. You just stick them inline right at the manifold and it will only allow so much water to pass. Another thought I just had was you could size your tubing according to the flow you want. Like 1/2" for the cpu then 3/8" for the gpu and maybe 1/4" for the chipset. That's just a wild idea I had while writing this. You would need to do some figuring to see if it work. Interesting idea. I'll have to see how it turns out for you.

voigts said:
Instead of running your components in parallel which will slow down your flow to each component, why don't you just put a valve before and after each component?

I'm not against that idea at all. Perhaps I would do something like that. I'm looking for something to ease up dismantling and would look nice while doing it. But I do like the idea of a manifold because it seems to me that it would be a little cleaner with the connect and disconnect of components. Do you think you could give a link to the type of valve/connect you are thinking about?

you only need 1 manifold. the second res will act as the collection point but you have to have enough inputs.

you want the res inputs to be above water level UNLESS you use a second set of ball valves after the components.

also for manifolds you have to make sure your input is equal distance to each output IF you use more than 1 tubing size output. also you want your input able to handle all the outputs without starving them so you can go a lot wider and use a modded heater core with 3/4 input and outputs

yup that is what i was saying right there. it saves you the resistance of more ball valves and the second manifold . the drawback is the res size increases and has to be outside the case most likely.

Ball valves are what you want to use ... almost 0 resistance when fully open.

I started using brass ones on mine but will use white plastic pvc ones now that i have figured out how i want to scale it up to full size ... they don't look as nice as the brass ones but for me i don't care about looks ... and the pvc ones are a lot lighter and cheaper ... i will end up with more than 20 valves on my farm setup, and probably more for those where the WB outlets could be below the water level in the res.

I will be putting in extra connections using ball valves for expansion as needed for pumps, ground loops and additional rigs so that i can add to it while it is running.

I want to keep most/all of the rigs running on it while i do work on parts of it.

So my manifold will have allowances for 16 outlets to WB's, and inputs from up to 3 ground loops. And another smaller manifold to allow for the addition of 1 or 2 more ground loops (or supplemental cooling like a chiller).

Since i will have multiple pumps, they will all have ball valves on intake and output to allow servicing while running.

Hope it helps.

PS ... it wont look pretty but my manifolds and res will all be 1 1/2 abs. The use of t's and threaded 1/2" and 3/4" 'dishwasher' connectors will make it pretty strong and leak proof ... easy to make and not expensive.
But not very suitable for a single rig or in a case I think.

Last edited:
I wonder if there is something like that with a quick disconnect....

Pscout, got any pictures of your setup? I would be very interested in seeing how you managed that.

I did the same setup with brass ballvalves and quick disconnects. Ended up being huge though. Got 3/4" ball valves for cheap and the 1/2" push to connect disconnects already take up a decent amount of space. Got them from mcmaster.com

Go there and search for "disconnect"

The second from the bottom result are Polypropylene disconnects. They have straight through and shutoff thumb latch 1/2" disconnects. Bout $10 for each half though. The brass ones are cheaper.

striker85 said:
I wonder if there is something like that with a quick disconnect....

Pscout, got any pictures of your setup? I would be very interested in seeing how you managed that.

Here is a link to the prototype manifold i tested pumps and 1st 4 WB's with ->
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4468399&postcount=141

that is a post from my farm thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=452688&page=1&pp=30

I am in the process of assembling the new large scale manifold and adjusting my rack to allow it to fit in well ... will post some pics in the farm thread hopefully over the weekend.

Back