• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for P180 Watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soichiro

Well, after being out of the WC forums for about 6 months, I've decided to return, and since it's almost summer, I'll be getting a job soon. Now as you all probably know, a job=money. And since I'm living with my parents, I don't have to pay rent or bills or anything like that. So, there's only one thing I can use that money for... (I think you know what I'm talking about)

So, here's the basic form for asking watercooling questions:

* List why you want to watercool. Is it noise, preformance, abit of both, or to be the only guy in the retirement home with a watercooled A64.
~ Performance of course, but I don't want too much noise either. Try to keep it below 35 dB.
* List your budget. From small to large, watercooling parts can be selected to fit your budget.
~ No more than $200-250 to begin with. I think I'll start with the basics then add a GPU block (and maybe a chipset block) later.
* List what tools you have or have access and how profficient you are with them.
~ Lotsa stuff
* List what kind of encloser (case) you have. And whether you are willing to cut it up.
~ P180, yes I'd be willing to cut it up.
* List what computer parts you have (basics like CPU, motherboard) or will be getting for your watercooled monster.
~ Check the sig

For parts, I was thinking something like:
Swiftech Apogee CPU Block
Swiftech MCP655
BIP2 Radiator (or BIX2 if iyou guys think it'll be worth it)
2x 120mm Tri-blade Deltas

And then a reservoir and tubing and stuff. What I'm really going to need help with, though, is how to fit the stuff inside the case. The only place in this P180 where I could really fit a 2x120mm rad would be at the top (or maybe on the side panel, but that would be tricky for when I need to open the case), but that wouldn't be very efficient since hot air rises and stuff...

Any help would be appreciated :)

I just put in to that case pa160 and x flow BIP2 radiators. so there is plenty of space. You have few options installing BIP2, one installing it on the top, requires lots of cutting, other installing it on the back of the case. Back of the case is much easier, rady would be like an external part.

If I put it in the back, that would require a fair amount of cutting, and it would have to be external. However, this seens like a better idea than putting it at the top of the case.
Another question: Would it be better to have the fans pushing air onto the rad, or pulling air through it, and should I have the air going through it be from inside or outside the case?

Well, you should probably try to push the coldest air possible through the radiator, so unless you have an air conditioner in your computer, I suggest pushing air from outside your case. The other thing is push air through your radiator, dont pull it. This is because if you feel on the other side of the radiator not all of the air flows through it, do pushing air onto it would be way more effective. And what model of deltas are you getting, the best triblades are like 50 dB.

QUOTE"Oh and btw, DO NOT PURCHASE, BORROW, STEAL, DOWNLOAD, OR USE VISTA! EVER!!!"END QUOTE

HAHA! FOR REAL!

hung said:
Looks nice, although I'll be using a bigger radiator than in the picture, so I'll need to arrange mine a bit differently.
Arca_ex said:
And what model of deltas are you getting, the best triblades are like 50 dB.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12trbllows1.html
Those. I think 150CFM (total from two fans) should be enough, since any more and my ears will bleed whenever I turn on my comp :p\

Edit:
I've decided to go with these things:
Danger Den D5 Pump (basically a relabeled Swiftech MCP655, so yeah)
Swiftech Apogee CPU Block
Black Ice Pro II
2x 120mm Delta Tri-Blade Low Speed
Danger Den 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir
10 feet of 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Tubing
8 Clamps (unless I really suck at math, that's all I should need for now, right?)
Total: $231.94 + Shipping
And hopefully room for a GPU block if I want to add one later.

Last edited:
Yeah, that should do it, I have 2 BIX2 with Panaflo Ultra High Speed fans, 115 CFM at about 50 db, but those are just the parts, I'm still working on that project.

the way i did it was i removed the bottom HDD cage and cut a hole in the bottom of the case. put a 180mm radiator flush to the bottom of the case with a 120 fan for an intake on top of it. the case needed talled feet so i got some of those. i also have a radiator at the very top a 160mm that is an exhaust out where the little grill thing is, just put another 120 with shroud on it. my water pump is sitting down on the bottom next to the PCI cards, noticed a significant difference with 2 radiators rather then 1 so i think the work was worth it. im also running 2 GPU sinks and the cpu sink so if your only cooling the cpu you prolly dont needf 2 radiators.

Back