• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pump sucking air from my res... help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soloz2

I've noticed that no matter how long I leave the cap off my res (it's at the highest point in my loop) and move my system around I still seem to have some bubbles in my loop, and there are some bubbles at the top of my res. Yesterday I was watching closely when I turned on my pump, and I saw the water dip down as the pump sucked and it actually pulled some air bubbles down into the pump... so I figured out why I'm having trouble bleeding my loop.

here are my components.

dd single 5 1/4" bay res
Swiftech MCP655 pump
double heater core
Swiftech Apogee cpu block
Polarflo TT gpu block

my loop is configured as such:
res > pump > rad > cpu > gpu > res. I have a Y fitting inbetween the res and pump that is connected to a drain plug.

I turned my pump down to setting 3 and it doesn't sen to be pulling any bubbles out anymore, but I'm looking for a different solution because I'd like to keep my flow rates up with summer coming. (no air conditioning) Do I need to get a double bay res, or would a T line and a fillport work better?

Is that what I have to do? what about all the people who are running single bay res's now... how do they manage?

Yeah, I'll post pics as soon as I can. for some reason imagshack isn't wanting to cooperate with me right now.

and I agree about the whole spending money aspect, but if I get a T line I'd sell my res, and I already have a T fitting so I'd only have to get maybe some more tubing to reroute everything and the fillport, so I don't think it would actually cost me anything

Lee_Kay said:
move to a T line then
Worst advice I've seen all day. Would you tell someone who is having a problem with their motorcycle to move to a snowmobile?

I had problems like this with my res, but I'm betting the loop I had then is nothing like what your working with. I had to redirect the intake on the res. Def wanna see a pic of your situation.

allright here's some pics

img2025117gq.jpg

img2024214pr.jpg

everything is the same in those pics as I have now with the exception of I painted a different heater core black and swapped them (still modded 77 bonne) and I swapped pumps to a Swiftech MCP655

img2057718vo.jpg

Some resevoirs have this problem: The pump sucks the water, runs the loop, then pushes it back to the rez. The flow of water is so fast that it creates a sort of "vortex" effect or what you can also describe as a "whirlpool". This creates bubbles and in turn the pump sucks in the bubbles thru the loop.

Your best bet is go with a "T" line and eliminate the rez or try and use a different rez. Other than this, pretty much not anything else you can do about it.

would this be a problem with all single bay res's? would it be better to go with a double bay res or T line

soloz2 said:
would this be a problem with all single bay res's? would it be better to go with a double bay res or T line

Most, if not, all the resevoirs encounter this particular problem. I had the same problem with all the res's I've had. From the 3.5 bay res, all the way to custom made ones. Sure it makes it easy to fill and bleed the system, but then you encounter this kind of headache. I gave up on the res's and just went with a "T" line. Maybe you should try it and see for yourself. if you don't like the T, you can always go back to the res ;)

hmm... well I was thinking about switching to a T line anyway, just wanted some opinions.

so since everyone wanted the pics, what do you think? are there any issues I should address?

I had that same problem with the res. My pump was moving so much water it would push the air that was trapped in the res back through my loop causing tiny streams of air bubbles through it. I turned the pump down to half speed, problem solved and no change in temps. Though, I dout you can do that with your pump, if im correct.

oh, my pump does have a pot. it's at setting 3 now and for th emost part the problem is solved

Yeah, mine has 1 to 5, 5 being the fastest. Mine shows no difference in temps, reduced vibration and noise and im actually liking the pump alot more. Glad that helped :)

my pump was quiet on 5 so I'd like to put it back up there... on 4 or 5 so maybe a t line is what i have to do...

Yeah I was gonna say turn down the speed on the pump. That thing sucks...literally. You don't need to run it that high for your loop...there's no need for that much flow.

The easiest thing to do is check all your fittings and hose clamps for tightness.
i would also get rid of those tye straps and replace em with real hose clamps.

Same thing happened to me, this is how i fixed it:

1) Make sure the Inlet barb in the RES in fully submerged.

2) Tilt the res forward so the barb is completely submerged in water, and make it impossible for it to suck air.

Back