• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft's Remote Desktop Program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Dud

I am on a home network and I am trying to master the Remote Desktop program and it stops once I get to the log on screen on the remote computer. It asks me for my username and password but it doesn't give me access to the computer when I use the computers username, 'Administrator', or the remote computers username no matter what password I enter. Any help appreciated.

Assuming that you are not on a domain you will need to use an account that exists on the remote PC. It needs to be a password protected acount, and you need to have RDC enabled, and the user as a meber of the Remote Users group. Add the user account in the remote tap of the computer properties.

Agreed. Just make an account, make them an admin, passqword protect it and of ya go. As far as I can tell, windows xp does not allow you to login as administrator unless you are in safe mode.

Cheator said:
Agreed. Just make an account, make them an admin, passqword protect it and of ya go. As far as I can tell, windows xp does not allow you to login as administrator unless you are in safe mode.

Actually it depends on what type of logins you are using. If you use the welcome screen hit Ctrl-Alt-Del twice, and it will bring up a domain style login box. Enter Administrator as the username, and whatever password you have set. You are now logged in as the built in administrator account.

If you, like me, decide to disable the welcome screen and use domain logins (you don't have to be a member of a domain) then just type in administrator and the password. You can disable the welcome screen by going to control panel, user accounts, and then disable fast user switching and Use the Welcome screen I believe. You will then have a network style login prompt. To require a Ctrl-Alt-Del go to start run.. control userpasswords2. On the Advanced tab choose to require Ctrl-Alt-Del to login.

First of all go to that computer, right click my computer icon and see if you've enable the remote desktop connection option. after that click "select remote users" and then add the suer account you prefer to use. I'm not sure about the admin one but if my memory serves me right you can even use power user accounts too. So that's it. Run to the destination computer and try to access that source computer with the user account you've enabled.
If you're getting any error codes then you'll have to post it over here or do some googling.

As far as I know you can use any type of account you want as long as it is a member of the remote users for that computer. You would only want to be using an administrator account if you are planning on using it as an administrative tool anyway. I for example use RDC and an administrator account all the time to work on my servers. They don't even have a monitor or keyboard/mouse. Other than that as with regular physical access it is a best practice to use a regular user account for daily stuff.

Back