• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

im not slow..... :/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobthemoo

right, after two months of having my rig up and running, i have just realised that all the windows sounds dont work. i can here sound through music players and in games, but the logon and shut down tunes dont play. also, that clicking noise when i press back or forwards etc

anyone know whats up? oh yeah, aslo, for some reason the producta ctivation screen came up and said i had 10 days to activate, do u reckon it could be the new HD i put in?

thanks

What version of Windows are you running?

Go to your control panel and open up sounds and multimedia and choose windows default in the scheme drop down menu.

If you've installed XP on the Maxtor drive you need to activate it if you reformatted or replaced the HD. And re-installed XP you need to reactivate it also it could be a program that turns off the windows default sounds profile.

I have a program called DBM it's DJ-ing software which is basically like a DJ mixer. Everytime I run the program it does the same there website says it might not run with SP2 it does as this is the only error I've had so far.

I now run it in a new account on my lappy called DBM so it dosn't mess with my main account.

If you product ativation screen came and you only put in a new hard drive I would call MS and speak with a rep so they could notate it. Unless noted they will only allow a certain number of changes per license.

im on xp sp2 (unfortunatly)

i installed the OS onto my maxtor first and actuvated that, then like a month later i put in a Fujitsi IDE HD, and it just came up with the activation thing when i reformatted it. it doesnt matter that much, but i hate having to ring the rep as the installation ID is always invalid or sumthing.

Back in the day Microsoft black listed me for my copy of Office 2000 Pro.

I was just getting into my hardware class in school and I was reformatting my windows 98 machine a couple times a month. They told me I called in and activated it too much and it could no longer be activated.

SinsFeelNatural said:
Back in the day Microsoft black listed me for my copy of Office 2000 Pro.

I surprised they havent hit me yet. I've activated my XP pro about 30 times already. I have to talk to an actual person now when I activate, but so far I still can.

lol ^^

ok, i have just re-activated it, i had to talk to some Indian guy....

any, back to the main issue, when i went into the sound thing, it was set on windows default already. when i tried to preview some of the sounds they wouldnt work either.

i just installed that ^^

it still doesnt seem to work. i think im gona try to email microsoft and see what they recomend unless anyone else has any other suggestions?

Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_USERS

If the above key doesn't have a Data entry in the right pane that reads: (value not set), double click the (Default) String Value name and delete the Value data. If it does, then check your HKEY_USERS | S-1-5-21 keys for the same. The Edit String dialog should look like the *.jpg I uploaded called "Edit String".

Attachments

• HKU Key.JPG
    HKU Key.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Edit String.JPG
    Edit String.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
tried that ^^ (what i understoof of it :p)

but all the things said (value not set) was that right. i just clicked on the edit box then clicked ok again.

Well, I'm not too sure of how I can reword it without using the correct terminology... in such a way that it would make any sense. Open the registry branch I made note of... it should look exactly as the HKU Key.jpg that I posted. If it looks any differently than the pic. that I posted, then take a screenshot of the highlighted key just as I did... and post it in this thread. Make sure to also check the HKEY_USERS | S-1-5-21 sub-keys... they should look exactly the same as the HKEY_USERS key.

As you're obviously unaquainted with the registry structure and how to edit values, I would strongly suggest you do some reading on the subject. Search the MS knowledgebase for articles regarding how the registry is structured, and any other articles related to modifying keys, values, etc. Find out what the differences are between String values, DWORD values, Binary values, etc. so that you know what you're editing... and the consequences thereof. Here's an article to get you started...

Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/en-us

Last edited:
im such an IDIOT!!!!!!

thanks to my new tv card :)D) i found out the porblem. one of my speaker cables was in the wrong place:mad: :bang head :bang head

thanks for your help anyway.....GAHHHHH!!!!!

Back