• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can't share files!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

Call me an idiot but I can't figure out how to share files over a wireless network. Neither with or without net connection.

All I want to do is transfer some anime from one laptop to another. PLEASE someone tell me exactly how, and you'll be my god for today :)

thanks, Emmanuel

Have you run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard? I did that, chose to enable file and printer sharing and all of my shared files were available wirelessly just like wired.

Sometimes you can't find the other computer in the my network places. Go to start-->run-->(type) CMD and click ok. In the command prompt type ipconfig. Write down the ip address. now go to the other machine and again start-->run-->(type) \\x.x.x. (the ip address) and press ok. If you have the file sharing enable then you can see the files of the other computer. Hope this basic trick will help you. Other wise pls provide us detail info about in which area you're getting failed.

ok!! I don't know what I did but it seems to work. I'm assuming it's making the connection through the router in my friend's house though right? How can I make a network of just two computers.

Oh and the thing which got it working was this right here
start-->run-->(type) \\x.x.x. (the ip address) and press ok.

Why are you the only one that said that's how you view the files, I would have thought that the shared folders would show up in the My Computer somewhere as networked folders. Is this really the way everyone here accesses their networked files? It's more primitave than using stone wheels on a car.

Well it depends. If you have a shared folder from a remote PC setup as a network drive on your PC then yes it will show up in My Computer as a network drive. Otherwise it should show up in My Network Places as a workgroup computer, and then under that as whatever folders you have shared. So if you double clicked My Network Places and then View Entire Workgroup and then the computer you wanted to see you should get the same result.

The thing is that sometimes Windows doesn't resolve all of this properly and when you go to My Network Places you get an empty window. You don't need to type \\ip address, you g=could use the name of the computer you want to go to in place of the IP address.

Something to check would be that the Computer Browser service is running. It gave me a whole bunch of problems with my network before I finally got it worked out. I am running a domani, so it might be slightly different for you. Anyway on any given network one PC needs tobe what is called the master browser. This is the computer that will make a map of the network every so often, and then send it out to the rest of the network. It seems that Windows sometimes has trouble electing just one PC as the mster browser, and when that happens you get no network "map". In my case I needed to manually disable the service on all but one PC, shutdown everything, and then reboot. In any case you would wnt to check and make sure it is running on both PCs. If it already is and you get nothing in My Network Places then try diabling it on all but one.

Back