• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speed up Windows XP by 15%

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After I did some small reserch it appears this is BS sad indead thought I found a good one.

EnableSuperfetch Tweak

Myth - "Enabling this improves performance in Windows XP as it does in Windows Vista."

Reality - "This myth was started when the Inquirer irresponsibly ran a bogus letter without doing any fact checking. Windows internals guru Mark Russinovich said this won't work, the "Superfetch" string isn't even in the Windows XP kernel. You can confirm this yourself by checking with the strings.exe utility. This makes it impossible for it to do anything since no "Superfetch" command exists. Windows cannot execute a nonexistent command and will simply ignore it. Anyone who says this works is not only lying but a fool." -
Source
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html#Optimization

The best you will be able to do with ANY tweaks and programs is disable those services that you dont need and clean up old program entries in the Registry. You may be able to do some tweaks to get a small boost in performance but many of the programs that state they speed up Windows are doing exactly what I first said and nothing more.

Ya got it striped down to 15 services :D pagefile optimization helps a few tweeks for net connection, thats about all the tweekin ive done

These, I can assure you work very very well...

Disable Paging Executive
This will prevent page sections from RAM going to the hard drive. If you have a large amount of RAM at least 1024mb improve your performance considerably due to reduced amount of hard drive swappage. The entry that you will want to modify is called DisablePagingExecutive. Changing this from 0 to 1 will keep the data in your RAM. and off your drive. "DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

System Cache Boost
The XP kernel can be loaded into your RAM with a simple registry edit. This can greatly improve performance since the NT Kernel will always be in your RAM. With this edit you will allocate roughly 4Mb of your RAM for the kernel. Sometimes more RAM is used but most of the time it is only 4Mb. The entry that you will need to find is called LargeSystemCache and you'll need to change this from 0 to 1 in order to enable this."LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

To put both of these RAM tweaks into use you'll add this to your reg file.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

I just relised I hadent re_applied this one after fresh install "LargeSystemCache" Programs are now loading twice as fast as they just were.

=========================================================
Turn off indexing

1. Browse to your hard drive either through Windows Explorer or through my computer
2. Right click your hard drive icon and select properties.
3. At the bottom of this window you'll see "Allow indexing service to index this disk for faster searches," turn this feature off for all of your drives by unchecking the box and clicking ok..
4. After that a window will appear and you'll want to choose apply to all folders and subfolders if you want the full benefit. You could turn this on for selective folders that you search frequently. For the most part you want this off for all of your folders.

Another very good tweek.
==========================================================

This is the link where these are from, I do not apply all there suggested tweeks but pick & choose as I see fit http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/winxptweak/

Beware if your not comfortable tweeking .reg just forget about it.

^^^ i thought it was imposible to kill the pagefile in XP - cause XP just turns it back on anyways.....

My favorite strategy for speeding up any OS is to buy new hardware. Building machines is way more fun (and expensive) than tweaking an existing one.

Excellent Post!!!

cozmo_d said:
These, I can assure you work very very well...

Disable Paging Executive
This will prevent page sections from RAM going to the hard drive. If you have a large amount of RAM at least 1024mb improve your performance considerably due to reduced amount of hard drive swappage. The entry that you will want to modify is called DisablePagingExecutive. Changing this from 0 to 1 will keep the data in your RAM. and off your drive. "DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001

System Cache Boost
The XP kernel can be loaded into your RAM with a simple registry edit. This can greatly improve performance since the NT Kernel will always be in your RAM. With this edit you will allocate roughly 4Mb of your RAM for the kernel. Sometimes more RAM is used but most of the time it is only 4Mb. The entry that you will need to find is called LargeSystemCache and you'll need to change this from 0 to 1 in order to enable this."LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

To put both of these RAM tweaks into use you'll add this to your reg file.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001

I just relised I hadent re_applied this one after fresh install "LargeSystemCache" Programs are now loading twice as fast as they just were.

=========================================================
Turn off indexing

1. Browse to your hard drive either through Windows Explorer or through my computer
2. Right click your hard drive icon and select properties.
3. At the bottom of this window you'll see "Allow indexing service to index this disk for faster searches," turn this feature off for all of your drives by unchecking the box and clicking ok..
4. After that a window will appear and you'll want to choose apply to all folders and subfolders if you want the full benefit. You could turn this on for selective folders that you search frequently. For the most part you want this off for all of your folders.

Another very good tweek.
==========================================================

This is the link where these are from, I do not apply all there suggested tweeks but pick & choose as I see fit http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/winxptweak/

Beware if your not comfortable tweeking .reg just forget about it.

Excellent Post!!! :thup:

The LargeSystemCache DWORD can be modified w/o manually editing the registry... System Properties | "Advanced" tab | Performance --> "Settings" button | "Advanced" tab | Memory usage --> tick the "System cache" radio button to change the default setting of 0 to 1 (the "Programs" radio button sets the default of 0, which is a hidden value in the registry).

Back