• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Master file table size ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Layback Bear

After defraging with Diskeeper pro 10 it warned me that my Master file table is to small and is easy to fragment. MFT is 99% full. Should I make it bigger, what are the good and the bad in increasing the size. It also tells me once made bigger it can't be made smaller.
XP-PRO-SP2
300 GIG H/D with lots of free space

When more files are created, the $MFT will automatically / dynamically expand to accomodate them. What happens when you let Diskeeper increase the size of the MFT, is it adds a new DWORD value to the registry... NtfsMftZoneReservation , in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | FileSystem]

The default DWORD value is 1, which reserve one-eighth of the volume for the MFT... and isn't visible under the above key. Diskeeper manually adds the DWORD and the value of either 2 or 3, which reserve one-fourth to three-eighths of the volume for the MFT. IMO let XP handle the size of the MFT, but use Diskeeper's boot-time tool to defrag the MFT.

Thank you redduc900; you sure know alot of things about computing.
There is a lot of things Disckeeper does and I'm not sure what they all are but I will learn. It
sure defrags very quick.

redduc900 said:
When more files are created, the $MFT will automatically / dynamically expand to accomodate them. What happens when you let Diskeeper increase the size of the MFT, is it adds a new DWORD value to the registry... NtfsMftZoneReservation , in the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | FileSystem]

The default DWORD value is 1, which reserve one-eighth of the volume for the MFT... and isn't visible under the above key. Diskeeper manually adds the DWORD and the value of either 2 or 3, which reserve one-fourth to three-eighths of the volume for the MFT. IMO let XP handle the size of the MFT, but use Diskeeper's boot-time tool to defrag the MFT.

Great info and nicely done !

Going to check this too since Iam running DK10 Pro also ; but this may not apply to x64 .

Big thx ;)

*edit*
seems this does not apply to x64 as my DEWORD is at "1"

Last edited:
Back