• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Messed Up Resolution After Driver Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tracekill

Registered
I was installing the updated drivers for my eVGA 7800GT as recommended by somebody to fix a problem that the old ones were causing. (BSOD with nvdisp.dll or something like that as the problem). So I uninstalled the drivers by way of window's hardware manager and then restarted the computer, I attempted to install the new ones TWICE but it BSOD each time with "Thread stuck in device driver" or something like that. I uninstalled the partially installed drivers and then restarted again and this time the drivers installed fully and perfectly and I restarted by computer after. When it comes back up I notice the screen resolution is at the lowest setting so i turn it back to my usual 1024x768 but it looks freaking huge. The icons are gigantic and the start bar is like twice the size it was before I changed everything. Whats up?

Drivers: 8458XP2K.exe (Ver 84.58)
Card: eVGA e-GeForce 7800GT

I was testing the resolutions to see what worked and I got to 1280x960 and this looks exactly like what I had before the driver changes but my monitor says it only supports upto 1024x768 is this a prob or can I leave it here?

Now when I try and play BF2 at that res setting it just kinda does the splash screen then flashes black then crashes. I try it again and I get a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOd. This is fukin perfect.

It is most definately my drivers that are screwing everything up but I have no idea where I went wrong everything seemed to be going fine. I keep getting random BSODS with nv*.* files.

If you don't have it go download DriverCleaner, http://www.drivercleaner.net/
Go into control panel and select to uninstall the nvidia driver, reboot PC into Safe mode and run DriverCleaner to remove the leftover nvidia driver files. Then reboot back to normal mode and install the latest nvidia driver.

Its pretty much all good now except none of my games will load presumably because they think my graphics card is not good enough. How can I fix this? Games are BF2 and HL2.

Great now my sound is crapping itself and sputtering everywhere. Any help?

Man these boards are quiet today hope I dont get yelled at for a bump.

Tracekill said:
Now when I try and play BF2 at that res setting it just kinda does the splash screen then flashes black then crashes. I try it again and I get a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOd. This is fukin perfect.

Sounds like unstable RAM!! I had that symptom when analysing my HDD with a defragmenter
after booting with the RAM OC'ed. :eek: Bad idea!! Thus, get Memtest86, which is at the following web site:

http://www.memtest86.com

Back