• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCP350 18w- Bottom gets VERY hot????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voigts

As some of you know who have followed my pump top thread (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=456511), I have been working on making different tops for my MCP350 18w. I have been switching around and testing various tops and such. The bottom of the pump when running gets VERY hot in a matter of 30 seconds or so. I haven't run it dry or messed with it in any weird way, and haven't as yet even had it running in a system. It does this with the stock top on as well.

The bottom of the pump (the side opposite the top) gets so hot that it actually burns to the touch. I haven't run it for more than about a minute at a time as I am concerned as to how hot it would actually get. The pump also hesitates and the impeller kind of chugs when starting which seems odd to me. I am thinking something is messed up with this pump, and might RMA it as I have had it for less than a month.

Does anyone else have an MCP350 18w that heats up the bottom like this? Is this normal?

voigts said:
Does anyone else have an MCP350 18w that heats up the bottom like this? Is this normal?
I just felt the bottom of mine (18w version) and it is only slightly warm...definitely not hot.
You've got something weird going on I'm afraid.

Just at my friend's house today and his doesn't have any similiar problems.

I guess its off to RMA. I figured that this isn't normal. I ordered a 10w version also that I got in Friday to do a side by side comparison for flow and sound. I am going to compare the two tonight and then decide which I am keeping.

Hey man, I just got my new 18w ver. yesterday and it's only slightly warm after running for almost 5hrs. It's also not any louder then my 10w as far as my ears are concerned.:beer:

Sorry for the threadjack but...

I'm thinking of getting an MCP350, but this is the first I've heard of it having 2 versions. Can someone elaborate?

Yuriman said:
Sorry for the threadjack but...

I'm thinking of getting an MCP350, but this is the first I've heard of it having 2 versions. Can someone elaborate?

The Swiftech MCP350 is the 10w pump= DDC rev1 that was sold by Danger Den. The 18w pump is the DDC Rev2 plus that is currently being sold by Danger Den, and will be labelled as the MCP355 whenever Swiftech starts selling it.

There was a lot of confusion regarding this as I found out first hand because for a while Swiftech shipped 18w pumps labelled as MCP350s because Laing sent them the wrong pumps. I had this happen to me and called Swiftech and they told me what happened. Dtek customs is selling both pump as the DDC and the DDC-R2 ( http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=252 ).

BTW I returned the 18w pump and got another one. I am going to test it tomorrow against the new 10w pump I also currently have some more to decide which one I am keeping.

meionm said:
The propeller on 10w is black and on 18w is orange.

wow really?!

I just modded krag's pump with 1/2" barbs and I noticed it had the red impeller. so his is the 18w?
I tested it and I thought it put out more pressure than mine. It did have a diff sound to it too.

So Voigts how was pump working out for you till it got hot. Some time soon I will have to look at the different tops that I have for 10w and 18w

meionm said:
So Voigts how was pump working out for you till it got hot. Some time soon I will have to look at the different tops that I have for 10w and 18w

There was definitely something wrong with this pump. I think the problems with the pump may have been caused by a few times when impeller hung on the top while I was testing the first two revisions of the tops that I made (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=456511) until I got it right. I swapped out the pump and have posted the time results on the last page of that thread. There is a consistent average of about 200lph difference between the flow of the 10w and 18w using the stock top and also my custom top.

The top on the 10w and 18w is the same.

I am really debating which pump to go with. The 10w with my top gets about 632lph, and the 18w with my top gets about 800lph. There is a difference in noise however as the 10w is virtually silent, but the 18w is noticeably louder and especially has more vibration to it. I am just trying to decide if that extra 200lph is worth the extra noise or not. I am after silence.

Have you drilled in to the main pump housing in the course of your mods? I had my old pump which began leaking so I drilled some holes in it to use new screws. I ended up drilling too deep and hit the magnetic coil. I guess doing that made a short and fried the pump.

striker85 said:
Have you drilled in to the main pump housing in the course of your mods? I had my old pump which began leaking so I drilled some holes in it to use new screws. I ended up drilling too deep and hit the magnetic coil. I guess doing that made a short and fried the pump.

No. I didn't mod the pump at all. I went through several revisions in making my own acrylic top for it. I had a problem in the first two revisions with the outlet where I had not designed it exactly like the original and it caused the impeller to hang on the top. I think this must have somehow caused the motor to partially burn out.

You're probably right. If the impeller got stuck and the motor just spun freely it probably put too much stress on it. That sucks.

striker85 said:
You're probably right. If the impeller got stuck and the motor just spun freely it probably put too much stress on it. That sucks.

It worked out OK as I returned it and got a brand new one. :)

voigts said:
There was definitely something wrong with this pump. I think the problems with the pump may have been caused by a few times when impeller hung on the top while I was testing the first two revisions of the tops that I made (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=456511) until I got it right. I swapped out the pump and have posted the time results on the last page of that thread. There is a consistent average of about 200lph difference between the flow of the 10w and 18w using the stock top and also my custom top.

The top on the 10w and 18w is the same.

I am really debating which pump to go with. The 10w with my top gets about 632lph, and the 18w with my top gets about 800lph. There is a difference in noise however as the 10w is virtually silent, but the 18w is noticeably louder and especially has more vibration to it. I am just trying to decide if that extra 200lph is worth the extra noise or not. I am after silence.

I was waiting for some parts right now so I don't close my rig. Everything is pulled out. Indeed 10w is silent and 18w is louder noticeably but my ambient noises are louder. I will decide once I get everthing in.

Back