• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID reinstall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bullnettles

My files have been acting a little funny lately (NERO kills upon opening, iTunes can't install) and I was wondering if reinstalling windows onto a RAID 0 config will wipe out any other partions I have besides the one I have for the OS, thanks guys.

true hardware raid is invisible to the os. So if you are using a hardware raid, you'll be aOK. I had to do this last month and it went flawlessly

It's on my mobo so it has drivers... am I in for a complete reinstalkl over the entire RAID? This could stink

Speaking of raid, I have a little thing that's been bugging me ever since I bought some new hardware (mb/cpu/graphics) several months ago. Despite being hardware based and on the motherboard, I've always had this showing up in my taskbar since day 1 of the install.

ohnoez.jpg

That is *extremely* disturbing. I've never actually tried "safely removing" one of them, and I shudder to think what would happen if I did. I find it very unsettling it's listing the two drives being used in my raid as individual pieces of hardware I can just "safely" remove willy nilly.

Comments, ideas? Hardware is as listed in sig.

That would be SATA for you ;) SATA is hot-pluggable, just like a USB device, so Windows provides you with a way to "safely remove" them if you ever want to. I don't know what would happen if you tried to safely remove half of a RAID-0 pair, but either Windows wouldn't let you, or the controler would freak out until you put it back in.

Might try it for fun the next time you decide to reinstall :D
JigPu

Bullnettles said:
It's on my mobo so it has drivers... am I in for a complete reinstalkl over the entire RAID? This could stink
It sounds like you have what you want. Because it is a hardware RAID, you can easilly reinstall the OS without disturbing the other partitions.

Get the BIOS to boot off of the CD and have the floppy in the drive, but not all the way. After you get the "press any key to boot from CD, hit the spacebar. Once you get the blue install screen, pop the floppy with the RAID drivers the rest of the way in and look at the bottom of the screen for the "Hit F6 to install RAIN and SCSI drivers". The just read the options carefully. It's a little odd if you haven't done it before...it seems like it is asking you to do it twice, but if you read carefully, it's not. After all of that is done, it's just the same as any other install. You will have the options to repair, install, partition, format etc.

Hope that helps.

Alright :) Sounds good and I have one more project to do tomorrow, thanks everyone!

JigPu said:
That would be SATA for you ;) SATA is hot-pluggable, just like a USB device, so Windows provides you with a way to "safely remove" them if you ever want to. I don't know what would happen if you tried to safely remove half of a RAID-0 pair, but either Windows wouldn't let you, or the controler would freak out until you put it back in.

Might try it for fun the next time you decide to reinstall :D
JigPu

That did cross my mind, and it makes sense, but the weird thing is that my previous setup was all the same hardware, just different motherboard, processor and graphics card (abit nf7-s v2.0, mobile barton, geforce 6800gt), and that "safely remove hardware" icon never showed up. Despite being same setup with the harddrives - the two raptors in raid 0 :shrug:

I have thought about removing one of them though :D Like when I've decided to reinstall next time, and after I back up the important stuff.

Back