• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dyeing water

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bignaz

Ok i use the orange anti freeze and its to light my my likeing. i dont have any food coloring but i have easter egg die tablets. would those hurt my system? i'll crush them up good into a powder and mig really good in a little distilled water and make shure upto the light theres no particles in it but has anyone done this or should i just get some red food coloring lol.

oh noes my waters dying! lol

Seriously I'd just get the liquid dye. If you crushed the tablets and mixed it in some water, then ran it through a coffee filter that would be OK too.

damarble said:
oh noes my waters dying! lol

LMFAO! That is to funny.

Does food coloring actually work? Wouldn't that conflict with any other living organisms.ss....I want to dye my water, wether it be UV or not, lame see through water is boring :D

did it and filtering it worked great. i just used some empty tea bags since i dident have coffie filters then held it in a glass up to the light for a quick enspection.

i need to make it a little darker but atleast it dosent look pink anymore lol.

Glad it worked out. What kind of water block do you have? If it's a high flow block (no jets) I doubt minute particals would have done anything anyway.

ziggo0 said:
Does food coloring actually work? Wouldn't that conflict with any other living organisms.ss..

Thats what I use in my loop. I put way too much in though and it's a forest green color. LOL

i got a evercool WC-301 riped apart and mounted like a normal setup lol. "it was cheap and it cools my sempron 2500 good"

dont know if my block has jets its heavy tho lol. im gonna dye it darker sooner or later lol.

damarble said:
Glad it worked out. What kind of water block do you have? If it's a high flow block (no jets) I doubt minute particals would have done anything anyway.

Thats what I use in my loop. I put way too much in though and it's a forest green color. LOL

Hmmm...is it safe though? Like I don't want to have to change my water every month or so.

i heard you weren't supposed to use food coloring in a loop, for the pump's sake, as well as the tubing...

clarify?

I can't see food coloring changing the viscosity of the water. So it must be something with corrosion. But, I don't believe that something that is safe to eat would be that corrosive.

I've never seen any corrosion, and I had a plexi-topped copper block. It stains the tubing slighly but not enough to really even notice. As far as viscosity, it's a non-issue. We're talking like 2-3 drops for one loop.

OTH, if it's organic based food coloring I could see a problem with alge maybe.

SolidxSnake said:

hmm.. But I can't see how it can damage a pump to any noticable degree. Most of these things were designed for ponds and aquariums. Think how much crap is in that water. And again we're not dumping the whole bottle in, 2 drops does the trick.
I guess if you want to be safe don't use it. But I wouldnt worry.

damarble said:
hmm.. But I can't see how it can damage a pump to any noticable degree. Most of these things were designed for ponds and aquariums. Think how much crap is in that water. And again we're not dumping the whole bottle in, 2 drops does the trick.
I guess if you want to be safe don't use it. But I wouldnt worry.

yeah, i couldn't see how either. I was just being safe rather than sorry

i wanna use food coloring :D

I asked this same question about a year ago when I had only been watercooling a few months. Food coloring is a particulate based dye which can cause problems with your pump. If your pump is a Swiftech, you have voided the warranty as it clearly states that any particulate based dyes void it. And they do check pumps that are RMA'd. The experience is also with food coloring that is turns into a crummy brown color after a while and precipitates onto the inside of the tubing.

Do yourself a favor and get some decent water-soluable dye like from cool-cases-usa.com or DD. They definitely will not cause you any problems.

Wouldn't ink do it - i know it would stain the tubes prolly, but i bet you wouldn't need much.

Just a thought,

rdm

most food coloring is not a solid dye, it is particles suspended in a medium (i.e. AS5). Eventually those particles COULD build up in the nooks that dont get high flow (inside of a bend, inside the rad etc) but the amount that you would need to cause any harm is vastly more then you would put in. Any organic based would give the CHANCE of a bacteria (i.e. algae) to grow in your loop but the only real problem I see with any food dye is many are alcohol based and if you arent careful then you could damage any plexi/acrylic/lexan/etc. in your loop with crazing. Other then that there is really no chance of damaging your system unless you are trying to filter coffee grounds through your loop to help in cooling or whatever.

Fish dork/read way too much about different things.

Let me esplain... no that will take too long. Let me sum up.

Particulate based dyes like food coloring destroy the seal rings on Lang pump (like the D4/650, D5/655, and DDC/350) and cause the impeller to be damaged and leak.

Back