• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to backup files for a reformat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonTattooz

I want to reformat my hard drive. I don't want to backup everything on the drive because I already have backups of most of my software and I want to reload everything fresh.

So, my question is- How do I save my internet bookmarks and my accounts/settings for Outlook Express? The bookmarks one is pretty easy, I just can't find the folder where they are kept. My real concern is OE. I was looking at it and I didn't see an easy way to export and import my accounts and settings.

Is there a way to backup my drive, but only select the things I want to backup? I've never done a backup and restore operation on a home PC with WinXP, so maybe there is an easy way to do what I want to do, but I'm just not aware of it. I do have Nero with the BackItUp feature, but it iirc it wanted to backup the whole drive when I was playing with it several months ago.

I've also done the thing in WinXP where you migrate everything from one drive to another when I built my new computer. That gave me the option of choosing everything that I wanted to migrate, but I don't think that will work for a reformat/reinstall, will it?

EDIT: I did read the sticky about reformatting, but it didn't cover this specific question.

The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard ( Start | Run | Type %systemroot%\system32\usmt\migwiz.exe, and click OK).

redduc900 said:
The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard ( Start | Run | Type %systemroot%\system32\usmt\migwiz.exe, and click OK).
Thanks.

EDIT: Geez, I'm an idiot. I opened the wizard and realized why I didn't think I could use it before- it says on the first page that it should be done over a network. So, instead of going any further I just assumed that I couldn't use it for what I was trying to do. This time I clicked to the next page and saw the option to save the info to a removeable drive. Thanks again. That will do exactly what I'm trying to do.

Last edited:
Back